Sponsored by:

is my sunroof sick?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 04:04 AM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool is my sunroof sick?

The sunny season is here and I love a bit of fresh air on my way to the office... and the sound of a flat 6 beats the radio, hands down.

A question for you good people:

When opening and closing my sunrooof, I can hear that the mechanism does not stop working once the roof has reached its fully open or fully closed position. This can not be good for the motor and cables, so I take great care when opening and closing the roof.

Should the sunrooof not have the same function as the power windows i.e. that power is taken from the motor when it has reached its fully opened or closed position?

Take care
Old 06-26-2004, 04:38 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine is the same way.
Old 06-26-2004, 05:04 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine stops making this noise after a couple of seconds. But whether this is normal or not I couldn't say.

Kevin
Old 06-26-2004, 05:04 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think my power windows are the same way!

Power to window and roof motors until you take your finger from the switch - they just use a 'clutch' action to avoid straining the motor at the end of the travel.

Then again, reading Kevin's post above this ( 'mornin, Kevin) - I've never actually tried keeping any of those buttons pressed more than a moment: maybe they would cut off after a second or two, after all.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:29 AM
LT1
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

When I picked up my car a few years back from a preowned Porsche dealer www.highmarques.com, the guy made it a point to tell me to let go of the switch as soon as the roof was open/closed. He thought that holding the switch down for any more time than necessary would hurt the mechanism
Old 06-26-2004, 11:46 AM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine does the same thing...for better or worse, it sounds like that's the way its supposed to be.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:59 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Jens,
The sunroof motor has a clutch assembly. It works like a battery power drill. When you hear this noise it is the clutch working. It will not damage anything and just release the button.
Power windows are not fitted with a clutch. The power is removed by switches inside the motor assembly. This is why window mechanism adjustment is important to ensure the window is fully up when the switch removes power.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

Quick Reply: is my sunroof sick?