Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing Seats for a Custom 964

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2024, 06:24 PM
mic_crispy
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 162 Posts

Outside of the actual seat, another vote here for Rod at Classic9. He did my seats and killed it.

That said, of those 3 options I would (and went) with the RS / Recaro fixed option. Sporty but comfortable and modern enough looking while still being period correct.

The following 3 users liked this post by mic_crispy:
cobalt (06-27-2024), dukmon (06-26-2024), Greg Wolfe (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 06:38 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 276 Posts

Wow, beautiful! Thanks for the pics.

Cobalt, the Sportsters are timeless, no doubt.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 06-25-2024, 10:26 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 237 Posts

Greg,
Are you tall?
Many of these options are not tall person friendly.
My lollipop seats are gorgeous but we had to do significant modifications to the car in order to fit in them.

Last edited by spartansix; 06-25-2024 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-25-2024, 11:20 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by spartansix
Greg,
Are you tall?
It's not just about how tall you are. I'm 6'5" (at least the last time I checked) and I fit very comfortably in my Porsches due to my fortunate proportioning (longitudinal balance ;-) Of course, the fixed back Speedster/RS seats are 'snug' but with the quick release Momo and spacer my knees are free and clear

I have friends that are shorter than me but with longer torso or legs and they can't get as comfy...
Old 06-25-2024, 11:43 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
RECARO still makes the OEM RS Buckets to this day, same specs and everything. We have them for sale on our website, they run $1,295-$2,390, much cheaper than trying to find a spare or NOS set.

https://www.highline-autos.com/produ...pole-position/

Trenton O. Gibson
tgibson@highline-autos.com
Highline Autos
Direct: 602.909.9216
Office: 480.348.0777
That is crazy good pricing. What’s the $1295 option? Then again maybe I’m being simplistic; I do like the 8-way seats on my car and must access the rear seats.
Old 06-26-2024, 12:46 AM
lapoune
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Peteinjp
I would love to love the oem sport (and non sport for that matter) seats...... but as much as I try after a couple of hours I hate them. They just don't fit my body well and I end up with lower back pain. Obviously others feel differently as above- the point being that you really have to see what fits you the best. While I agree that the sportsters may not look the best and certainly are not as "special" as either of your other choices in the end they fit me the best and for me fit is the deciding factor. Also I was able to get them to fit a hair lower than OEM so I can just.... just fit a a helmet.

At for @cobalt comment on adjustability - yes there is no forward or rearward tilt option. I 3d printed angled spacers that fit the between the sportster frame and lower cushion to raise the front up for more leg support. So the seats fit me perfectly other than slight annoyance of the upper seatbelt pass through bezels which I can feel on my shoulder blades.

By far my favorite looking seat is the bucket Recaro RS style. If I was shorter and didn't need rear access that would be my first choice without a doubt. Others to consider may be the Cobra Nagaro. @Foxman has those and I've sat in them at a dealer and they are nice with both hands on the wheel- but with one hand down they curve the shoulder in a little too much.

Anyway for me it's more about fit than style- not that there is anything wrong with the other way around- just that I have 8 hour trips in my car. I have small tight buckets in my 914-6 conversion and drive it hard for hours straight but that's a different thing...

Pete
Depending on how your seat fits you can get tilt forward brackets for fixed buckets, sparco makes one works pretty well.
Old 06-26-2024, 06:53 AM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spartansix
Greg,
Are you tall?
My lollipop seats are gorgeous but we had to do significant modifications to the car in order to fit in them.

Dave, those are beautiful. Where did you get those?

I am not tall at all. In fact, I am not even of normal height. 5'6".

Mr. Wolfe
Old 06-26-2024, 08:40 AM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 135 Posts

It dawned me the 964 Speedster seats are the ones with the suspension, I would love a set of these...

The following users liked this post:
Greg Wolfe (06-27-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 11:18 AM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Wolfe
Dave, those are beautiful. Where did you get those?

I am not tall at all. In fact, I am not even of normal height. 5'6".

Mr. Wolfe
Then all seat options are open to you!
RUF made those for me (they're matte carbon, crazy light)

The following 2 users liked this post by spartansix:
cobalt (06-27-2024), Greg Wolfe (06-27-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 06:44 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 60 Posts

Perhaps because I am old- the RS seats are a bit difficult to get in and out... and long term you will have bolster ware.. I really like the first option you posted.

Photos of RS seats in my speedster.

Last edited by Speedster911; 06-26-2024 at 06:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Speedster911:
cobalt (06-27-2024), Greg Wolfe (06-27-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 11:04 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 396 Posts

You have excellent taste, Mr. Wolfe.

I had a set of the stock sport seats that Lart made for me. The grip was incredible, I loved those seats. But they weighed 65 pounds each! I don’t think Lart converts the seats. He’s a purist and likes to work with only stock aport seats. There’s some welding involved for the conversion, snd I’m not sure it’s prudent to mess with this.

Here’s my install thread on the Cobra Nogaro. These seats are great for tall drivers, and only weigh 22 pounds. Cobra will gladly build your seat to order, and you can pick the coloring and stitching. They’ll even add heat.

But at your height I would stay with stock Recarro pole positions. Possibly the ABS version depending on your fit. Maybe black leather with pepita fabric? Or alcantra. I don’t like the grip of most leather seats.

And I do love the period correct A8’s. If anyone wants to part with a set, please let me know!
The following users liked this post:
Greg Wolfe (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 09:42 AM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Foxman
You have excellent taste, Mr. Wolfe.

I had a set of the stock sport seats that Lart made for me. The grip was incredible, I loved those seats. But they weighed 65 pounds each! I don’t think Lart converts the seats. He’s a purist and likes to work with only stock aport seats. There’s some welding involved for the conversion, snd I’m not sure it’s prudent to mess with this.

Here’s my install thread on the Cobra Nogaro. These seats are great for tall drivers, and only weigh 22 pounds. Cobra will gladly build your seat to order, and you can pick the coloring and stitching. They’ll even add heat.

But at your height I would stay with stock Recarro pole positions. Possibly the ABS version depending on your fit. Maybe black leather with pepita fabric? Or alcantra. I don’t like the grip of most leather seats.

And I do love the period correct A8’s. If anyone wants to part with a set, please let me know!
You're too kind. Those Cobra Nogaro's are absolutely beautiful. I'm starting to think that fixed back seats are maybe too much for a street car. They just look so good though. I am still leaning towards custom sport seats, but am keeping my options open. Love all of the pictures and opinions.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 06-27-2024, 01:29 PM
m_a_saunders
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I also have the Recaro Sportster CS in my 964 C4 and can highly recommend them - I’m also quite tall at 186cm and have a long torso. Just need narrower ***** for adjusting the backrests.

My daughter does, however, complain that they’re not height adjustable…. I’ve kept the original seats so when I’m not roaming about on the planet anymore she can reinstall them… :-)

Cheers, Mark

The following 2 users liked this post by m_a_saunders:
Greg Wolfe (06-27-2024), Highline-Autos.com (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 02:50 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 484 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by Abe Froman
That is crazy good pricing. What’s the $1295 option? Then again maybe I’m being simplistic; I do like the 8-way seats on my car and must access the rear seats.
RECARO Pole Position ABE- Ambla Leather / Red Suede Insert- $1,295 (+ tax and shipping)

https://www.highline-autos.com/produ...pole-position/

Trenton O. Gibson
tgibson@highline-autos.com
Highline Autos
Direct: 602.909.9216
Office: 480.348.0777

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old 06-28-2024, 01:31 PM
olly964T
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vegas993
It dawned me the 964 Speedster seats are the ones with the suspension, I would love a set of these...

I`ve got a set of those in the corner of my office if you are serious. stickered 964 RS speedsters from 1991. Plain black backs and black leather.

Quick Reply: Choosing Seats for a Custom 964