Searching for my 964

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2024, 10:32 AM
dodam7
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Searching for my 964

Hey guys
its nice reading through the forum learning from others with 964s.

I have and had few 911s of 991 and 992 but I started loving the 964s and need to get my hands on one sooner or later.

I have been looking at different Facebook groups and classified as well as auction sites. I wanted to know where you guys purchased your 964s and how long the search took.

I am wondering if the prices will come down a bit in winter if I take things slowly. I never had chances to drive 964 or any aircooled Porsches. I don’t know if there’s a way to do it…

I don’t want to go around test drive other ppl’s cars for sale when I know I won’t be buying them.

so all the experience I have is POV videos on YouTube from other 964 owners. Haha

My budget is maybe around 70-80k usd max. ( I am from Toronto Canada and prefer Canadian Cars for the easiness of transaction) and i realized this is not enough money for good 964s.. (wanting c2 or c4 coupe manual)

I want to drive it few times a week, not going to be a garage queen, so although I can spend 150k, can't justify spending 150k and getting worried about it stacking miles (I guess just means I don’t have enough money for that lol)

anyways, all in all for now I am in love with 964, if I can’t afford a good one, will have to move to 993s (seems bit cheaper) or maybe look into 930s but again I have no experience with these cars so can’t make a solid decision.

anyways, if you can lead me to a site where I can keep searching for the right 964, that would be greatly appreciated!

thank you again for reading my post.

cheers
Old 06-24-2024, 03:22 PM
Balisong
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 57 Posts

Not sure what your temps are year round but I live in SC and I’ve found that Targas are 4 season cars. Temp here fluctuates from 90ish degrees in summer to not often below 45ish in the winter. Spring and Fall here are perfect Targa weather but the 964 allows for very good AC and Heat.
I enjoyed my 964 Targa so much I sold my 964 Coupe and bought a second 964 Targa…I have a C2 and C4 and I’m glad to have both as it makes each car different and special in its own way. One car has 18K miles and the other 13k miles. I have enough invested in these cars that I could have one pretty special exotic vehicle instead (like a 488 for example). But generally I disregard most vehicles made after 1998. I don’t like the non manual, recyclable, carbon fiber, screen filled cars that have been made lately. I’m just an air cooled German car snob.
The 964 is just perfect. It ties back to old world hand built Porsches and introduces enough niceties to make the cars more enjoyable day to day. For me the Targa is the most pleasing driving experience.
i see that Nathan just posted a blue 964 Targa on BAT today. Again I don’t know if a Targa is right for your environment but if it is, keep and eye on that one. It’s already in Washington State so it should be an easy import. It’s already got a healthy amount of miles on it so no guilt there if you drive it. My guess is if you buy it you will absolutely love it and maybe buy another that’s more of a garage queen. In the gun world we say two is one and one is none!
You have wisely arrived to a great conclusion in buying a 964. You just need to decide which variation you want. Cabs are always a bargain compared to the Targas and Coupes and ironically they were the most expensive when new.

Last edited by Balisong; 06-24-2024 at 03:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jbirdie6 (06-27-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 09:06 AM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts

I would find one local to drive or at the very least, go for a ride. I suspect a $70-$80k car isn't going to be a very fulfilling experience and definitely not a daily driver based on your current reality - modern technology is a very different animal.
Old 06-25-2024, 11:18 AM
Balisong
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 57 Posts

That’s a good point. Singer was paying $80k for a car they intended to disassemble.
Prices are down a bit from last year but plan to spend more than $80K.
Old 06-26-2024, 12:12 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts

Fellow Canadian but on the west coast.

The Canadian market is very limited for 964. I would suggest for you to attend some of the Porsche Club of America events. I believe you would be in the PCA - Upper Canada Region.

Often there will be "Cars and Coffee" events. Just start to talk to 964 owners. I have found many to be very friendly and proud of their cars.

Who knows maybe you will find someone willing to give you a ride.

Quick Reply: Searching for my 964