Sponsored by:

modified c4

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 03:21 PM
Katharine
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question modified c4

In May, bought a 93 964C4 (Cab), set up for autocross. I do DE. The car had the following mods: LtWt Flywheel (LWF); Auththority chip; mass air flow; B&B headers & exhaust. Problems..questions..
1. The car hiccuped at 4800 - 5100 and sometime just got "stuck" at 4xxx rpms. Chip?or MAF?. Went to Autothority in Fairfax (they had done ppi); new owner was useless. To fix quickly, took out ECU&MAF and replaced w/stock. Car now works well, but stalls when STOPPING due to LWF. So, I need a new chip to handle that. (Then, will put this chip in my ECU and return stock ECU = less expensive). The question :: since I need to get a chip anyway, should I get a high performance chip?? one that also can handle the MAF?? OR stay with stock w/only change being idle for the LWF.
Some recommend staying as close to stock as possible - ("Porsche would have done these things if it made sense") - as the electronics and interdependence are so complex; other say "go for it". I am not possessed by time - trying to cut off a tenth of a second. I LOVE DE, and would like good times, of course.
2. To pass PA inspection, had to change out BB headers/exhaust to stock exhaust, as a cat could not be "inserted". I'm inclined to stay w/stock. Same logic as above.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:50 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Katharine,

If you want a chip that will work with your LWF, I'd suggest you contact either EVO Motorsports or Rennsport Systems. I believe they both sell a GIAC option which retains the stock rev limit works with a LWF.

As for the exhaust, the stock system is fine. From what I've read, the power gains with headers appears to be minimal unless you make several other mods, including a camshaft upgrade.

If you want to improve your peformance at the track, I'd recommend you spend your money on driving events, especially those with good-quality instruction. That's the best mod you can do.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:00 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Wait-a-minute - I thought I replied to this thread..??!!!

OK - which ADMIN deleted me...
Old 06-25-2004, 09:52 AM
Katharine
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You did; it didn't show up so I re-wrote it (and said so upfront). I'm VERY new to this whole chatroom type activity so I goofed. This site is awesome - to steel a phrase from the younger generation.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:00 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It did show up - there are 2 threads. This one, and one you called "C$ mods" which is the one John (and I) answered.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:37 AM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Katherine,

If you are interested in getting rid of your B&B headers.....please send me a PM.

Thanks
Jeff

Quick Reply: modified c4