Sponsored by:

Flasher Relay R32 - checking

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 02:53 PM
mmccray
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flasher Relay R32 - checking

Is there anyway to test a Flasher relay? I've narrowed my turn signal issue down a bit, BUT before I tear into the steering column to access the turn signal switch, I'm going to replace the flasher relay.

I was just wondering if may be some way to use a meter to check out the relay.

So far this is the synopsis.

All bulbs good.
Emergency flasher works fine
When activated by the stalk the RH turn signal doesn't flash, doesn't even light. However, LH turn signal works fine.

I can flip the stalk up to initiate the RH turn signal and get nothing. Turn off the key switch and the RH signal light comes on , but of course doesn't flash.

If the switch in the column is bad - why would the RH signal lights come on at all??

Am I following this in a logical manner? Anybody else have a clue?

Will take a week to get my relay, and ..... boy do I hate to wait.

Marshall McCray
1990 911 C2 - off on the wrong foot I guess.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:42 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Marshall,

Good idea on trying the switch with and without the ignition on. I agree with your conclusion that the switch is ok. Its odd that your relay would be bad for turn but work for emergency flashing.

As for testing, if you have the factory manual, you can look up the relay on the electrical diagram and then remove the relay from the car and test continuity of teach circuit. I'm not sure I would bother since no matter what, you will need to replace it. I've not seen relays that are servicable.

Quick Reply: Flasher Relay R32 - checking