Replacing oil lines

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 05:57 PM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

Location: Prather, California: somewhere in the middle of the State
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Replacing oil lines

I know this has been discussed before but I'm haveing a bit of a problem. I'm in the process of replacing a leaking oil line that runs from the oil filter to the thermostat. Actually, I'm replacing all of those shorter ones which are into the thermostat, while I'm at it. But the long one from the oil filter is positioned behind the oil tank and does not appear to be removeable without removing the oil tank. I don't believe this step was mentioned by the other messages on this thread. Am I missing something or does the oil tank, in fact, have to be removed?
Old 06-23-2004, 05:26 PM
Richard Talbot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
Don't remember removing oil tank when I did mine, I think the hose ran behind one of the rubber cotton reel mounts for the tank which I removed
I did remove the side skirt and loosen the pipes to the oil cooler so I could drop the thermostat which really helped with tightening the large nut.
If I did one again I would blast the wheel arch and surrounding area to remove all road dirt before I started not half way through as I did first time
I also removed the filter housing which is easy and fitted the hose to this first as it is hard to tighten nut with it in place
good luck
Old 06-23-2004, 09:17 PM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

Location: Prather, California: somewhere in the middle of the State
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, Richard. I have been looking at the " reel mount supports" toward the top of the oil tank. I'll attack it tomorrow and see if the line can slip from behing it. Summer has hit in central California and all auto work is best done in the cool of the morning.

Oh yes, regarding the dirt under the wheel well. I cleaned, blasted, scraped, washed and am still working through a layer of goo.

Quick Reply: Replacing oil lines