Sponsored by:

Awful Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 02:45 PM
Lon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Awful Squeal

I just got back from a drive and when I turned the engine off there was a squeal (like dry bearings) for about 3 seconds after the engine quit turning. I am guessing this was probably the rear blower, but I am not sure. I thought some of you might have experienced this sound and can point me in the best direction for solving this problem..

Thanks,

Lon
Old 06-19-2004, 03:17 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Lon,
If you have heat selected the rear blower fan will run until you have turned off the ignition.
Unfortunately these problems have to be looked at by the owner. The easiest way is to have somebody else in the drivers seat to start and shut off the engine and for you to be standing at the rear with the engine lid open watching and listening.
This problem could be a slipping belt, aircon compressor, alternator, fan bearing, rear blower fan.
My advice is to look and listen.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 06-19-2004, 05:21 PM
Lon
Instructor

Originally posted by Adrian
Dear Lon,
If you have heat selected the rear blower fan will run until you have turned off the ignition.
Unfortunately these problems have to be looked at by the owner. The easiest way is to have somebody else in the drivers seat to start and shut off the engine and for you to be standing at the rear with the engine lid open watching and listening.
This problem could be a slipping belt, aircon compressor, alternator, fan bearing, rear blower fan.
My advice is to look and listen.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Adrian,

Thanks for the response, it is definatley the rear blower fan, it seems to run regardless of the selection on the CCU. GP964 met me for lunch and deterimned that the bearing in the rear blower is kaput. The blower is now unplugged until I can replace/repair it. I was not aware that the fan should only run with heat selected, as mine has run blue dot/red dot and anywhere in between since I have owned the car. Is this something wrong in the fan or is it the CCU?

Lon
Old 06-20-2004, 04:17 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Lon,
Your problem seeing as the fan does not run with the ignition off says one of 2 possible problems.
1/. The relay in the engine bay electrical panel is fused inthe low speed position or
2/. You have a failed CCU.
If the NTC sensor inthe plumbing had failed the fan would run after you have turned off the ignition.

Please remember with the fan unplugged you have removed the additional engine cooling system. Summer time is actually not the best time to do this and I advise you keep out of the traffic until you have repaired the fan.
Ciao,
Adrian.
964C4
Old 06-20-2004, 02:04 PM
Lon
Instructor

Adrian,
thanks again for the help. I will order a new replacement fan from Pelican. I will also replace the relay. I hope that takes care of the problem as I really would hate to buy a new CCU. My wife is already angry at the amount of cash I have spent on this car in the very short time I have owned it.
Anyway, Thanks again.

Lon

Quick Reply: Awful Squeal