Sponsored by:

Power steering pump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 07:07 AM
dc-porsche
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power steering pump?

Lately I noticed some 964's come with some kind of pump in the frunk and some don't. I happen to own two German delivered 1992 C2 964's where one does have the pump and one doesn't.
Is this the power steering pump? Was this optional?
I honestly don't feel a big difference in steering (if at all)

See pics below

With pump

Just two lines

Old 03-26-2024, 08:58 AM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 275 Likes on 161 Posts

ooops😎

Last edited by JohnK964; 03-26-2024 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:59 AM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 275 Likes on 161 Posts

ABS pump for a C2. C4 have a different setup. My car is a C2 so I am not sure of the C4 system there is another type of pump that operates the 4 wheel drive system Power steering pump is on right side of engine runs off the cam shaft
Old 03-26-2024, 10:20 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,020 Likes on 1,210 Posts

The first pic is of a C4, RS or turbo. These used the electro hydraulic booster system which runs off a pump in the front of the tub. You are looking at the brake M/C. The C2 second picture uses a vacuum booster which is located under the tub in the tunnel where the C4 AWD diff sits normally. That is why the lines run through the tub to the MC there.

As John said the Power steering pump runs off the right bank of the engine.

There is quite a difference between power assist and non assisted steering. At speed other than some additional effort I don't feel much difference but at slow speeds around town you will have to work much harder to maneuver without the power assist.

Last edited by cobalt; 03-26-2024 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-26-2024, 10:27 AM
dc-porsche
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
The first pic is of a C4, RS or turbo. These used the electro hydraulic booster system which runs off a pump in the front of the tub. You are looking at the brake M/C. The C2 second picture uses a vacuum booster which is located under the tub in the tunnel where the C4 AWD diff sits normally. That is why the lines run through the tub to the MC there.

As John said the Power steering pump runs off the right bank of the engine.

There is quite a difference between power assist and non assisted steering. At speed other than some additional effort I don't feel much difference but at slow speeds around town you will have to work much harder to maneuver without the power assist.
Thanks! That makes sense. The images I grabbed from the internet for reference. In my case both are C2's with the only difference that one is a WTL (wide body and the turbo brakes variant, similar to the America roadster).
Old 03-27-2024, 09:27 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,020 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Originally Posted by dc-porsche
Thanks! That makes sense. The images I grabbed from the internet for reference. In my case both are C2's with the only difference that one is a WTL (wide body and the turbo brakes variant, similar to the America roadster).
So the wide body roadsters use the turbo brakes as you mentioned and would look like the 1st picture vs the normal C2 which looks like the second. Both should come from the factory with power steering.

This is a Tiptronic engine but you can see the power steering pump and assembly here.

Quick Reply: Power steering pump?