Sponsored by:

Painting Aero Mirrors $$

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 03:44 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well JB you'll love this..I spent from 4pm till 11:30pm and cannot get the bolt head to snap into place once the springs are compressed! Eventually the clamp flew off and took with it all the paint on the bottom lip of the right hand mirror....'gutted' is not even the word for it!
Old 06-24-2004, 04:18 AM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Kahdmus
Eventually the clamp flew off and took with it all the paint on the bottom lip of the right hand mirror....'gutted' is not even the word for it!
Ouch!!!
Old 06-24-2004, 10:11 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Oh no!

The Kahdmus Syndrome in horrendous action!

Howard, I share your weeping.

I hope you get some consolation from the fact that I have learned to detect the syndrome's onset...

Recently, I have had some trouble from a noise which seems to come from the A/C belt. I have been slowly tightening it and the noise has been diminishing.

I am very shortly off to the Nurburgring and suddenly realised that I had created suitable conditions for the syndrome to strike! The belt felt VERY tight, so I have slackened it a little. Better a little noise than to have the belt snap on the 'Ring and destroy half the engine compartment.

So don't give up, my friend, the syndrome can be controlled with practice!
Old 06-24-2004, 10:15 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

P.S. You can always cover the damaged paint with a loose-fitting leather... etc.

AND, if you don't find a use for the threaded 'boomerang' pieces, you could send them back.

Repeatedly, I expect.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:16 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

You know john, I'm a big believer in preparation and doing jobs properly with the right tools in a well-informed manner. Last night it got so late because I drove to 3 different hardware stores to find the little rubber covers for the clamp! I bought a rubbber non-slip mat to go on the workbench to avoid slipping and scratching and I wrapped a rag around the mirror to protect it whilst tightening...I was terrified of scratching it after waiting all week for the paint shop to call and say they were ready!
So care and precaution WAS taken.

Just completely P%$#@^d off at this point! I'm going to feel about 2" high when I go back to the paint shop today!!
Old 06-24-2004, 12:19 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Don't sweat it, H.

There's always somebody worse off.

For instance, there's er, erm..., well there's er, ah...

Oh well there MUST be someone.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:20 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, I just dropped the damaged mirror back off at the body shop much to the owners amusement!! He didnt have any wrinkled leather to wrap around it but saidd he would repaint instead.

Any other options for compressing this damn spring? I think the washers and 2 nuts is probably the right way to do it. The problem is actually not so much the compression as the clamp compressed, its getting the bolt head to twist and lock once the ears are raised high enough!
Old 06-24-2004, 03:45 PM
andrew964
Instructor

Howard

I did mine by not only using the spring compressor but also by taping the spring and associated bits together so they didnt move about as much 1st one took me 2 hours second one 10 minutes!!
Old 06-24-2004, 10:34 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Andrew, there is no movement in the spring assembly. Just very difficult to turn the bolt head once compressed. Did you use a clamp or a threaded bolt and washers, nuts etc.?

Thanks for the pep! ;-)
Old 06-24-2004, 10:50 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Using a bolt and washers I can lock the mirror housings together in less than a minute. If you are worried about scratching the paint again I can send you a complete and unpainted aero mirror to practice with, just send it back to me when your done.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:28 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jason, very kind of you!!! Do you follow the exact methodology described in the link you posted above?

Cheers,
Old 06-24-2004, 11:42 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

I think I followed the instructions in the link I posted exactly. I can do things blind-folded now but I practiced quite a bit with an unpainted mirror. The first time you lock the two pieces together will be one of those eureka moments and then you'll take it apart do it all over again.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:21 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, got the scratched Aero back from the body shop today and rang the bell for round two ($75 for the single mirror respray)...

2 hours later and I cant believe I have got all the halves together!!! I really cant believe it and NO scratches!!! Am I cured of the dreaded KS?? Well...they have yet to be mounted! (However I cant believe anything will present itself in such beligerent fashion as those bloody springs did!)
Old 07-03-2004, 01:42 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK quick question for anyone "in the know":

What is this piece pictured below? I have 2 of them in my Aero mirror kit, but cannot identify them on the PET diagram! The do not seem to fit and the only thing I can think of is that they should have gone behind the frame (its in ALREADY!!!) either way, I cannot see a purpoes so maybe its not important. Below is a copy of the parts diagram and a picture of the part (the size of the part is the same as the motor in the pic: #6):

Anyway I have tested with motor and glass in and everything looks good, so unless some brught spark can lend additional insight into what this bugger is for....I'm slapping them on the car in the am!!!
Old 07-03-2004, 02:10 AM
Surf Twang
Instructor

It's simply mesmerizing to see a Syndrome in action!

Quick Reply: Painting Aero Mirrors $$