Sponsored by:

964 cab and kid seats (big kids)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 12:33 AM
dma550
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 cab and kid seats (big kids)

Hey guys

Just bought this car today, and I'm very excited about it. One of the selling points to my wife was that my kids, ages 5 and 4 (both around 39-42 lbs depending upon candy consumption) could come along when I drive.

My kids are die-hard fanatics, and refuse to let me go anywhere without them on weekends. No real long trips, but the 20-30 minute grocery-get or trips around town/to the shore are what I am after.

I did lots of research here and on Pelican last night about the issue, but am still somewhat unclear on the best path to take. ideally, I would like to have 3 point belts in the rear, and find proper boosters for them. Here are the three options I think I pulled from over 10 threads:

1) Install 3 point belts in the rear, and use proper boosters that fit. Not sure where to get these.

2) Find car seats large enough to handl big kids (like the simpson, up to 42lbs) and use the seat's 5 pt harness. Tie seat to the two point harness.

3) Install 993 rear setup (saw it mentioned in a thread but nothing further)

4) Someone spoke of aftermarket belts that could work... need more info here.

Option number 1 sounds the best... anyone have a definitive answer for these cars?

Thanks in advance,

DMA
Old 06-14-2004, 03:30 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

I am needing the same thing as I have the RS hard back seats and don't want my girls hitting their heads on the backs of those seats in an accident. Any info wouuld be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:45 AM
Mark Brook
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi guys,
I have a 90C2, in the UK these were delivered with 3 point rear inertia straps. My 6 year old sits in a Britax booster, which was the only one I found that fitted the bucket rear seats. Roughly £20.
My 4 year old sits in a Klippan forward facing child seat. Again sculptured at the bottom and fitting well into the normal rear bucket. It's secured with a fixed 3 point belt rather than the standard issue inertia real set-up. The child is held in with a 4 point harness. This one cost me roughly £250, which included the instalation of the new straps.Both were supplied and fitted by Quick Fit Safety Belts, in the UK. They usually advertise in 911 and Porsche World.
I tried the Porsche Prince, but it had too much movement for me to get it past the wife !

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:36 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 624 Likes on 479 Posts

My Cabrio has the rear shelf and storage bins.

Can any of you guys take a picture of your rear seats in the cabrio? I'd appreciate it! One day I think I want to remove the shelf and put seats for kids that are on the way...

Sounds like they only have lap belts - is that right? And you can't use a wind deflector, either, right?

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2004, 11:42 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My 91 has lap belts and from what i have read you cant use the 993 style wind deflector. Dont know if there is another aftermarket one that fits. Dont really think the wind is that bad anyways to justify the cost at least for me. ($300+) my car is at home but if you still need a picture this evening i will take one for you.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:52 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hi Jim, I'd love to see the setup of the rear seats.

I love the wind deflector - what a difference with and without it! I guess the kid's heads can act as a deflector as long as they are big!
Old 06-14-2004, 02:05 PM
dma550
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Any other solutions for the 3 point belt thing? I'm actually trying to squeeze out of a contract because of this... the wife wants to kill me for not thinking this through.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:13 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

I just ride around with a big palm tree in the back of mine. Blocks the wind pretty good plus gives good shade! I will post a couple of pictures tonite for ya on the seat.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:24 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by jimq
I just ride around with a big palm tree in the back of mine. Blocks the wind pretty good plus gives good shade! I will post a couple of pictures tonite for ya on the seat.

I think Arjan also had some success fitting a kid seat. P-car DIY has an article too I recall.

Cheers,
Old 06-14-2004, 10:56 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Monsoon rains hit on the way home tonight so wasnt able to take any pictures yet of the back seat. I will try again tomorrow. Its the rainy season here for the next 4 month!
Old 06-14-2004, 11:00 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks for trying Jim! I appreciate it!!
Old 06-15-2004, 10:35 AM
dma550
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Belts from peparts.com

Guys,

Just got an email back from PEP, (www.peparts.com) and they do have a belt kit that fits 964 c2 cabs for $149.99/side.

There were some caveats that need exploring, like their thoughts that my 90 c2 cab car won't have the threaded boss (which means a bolt through to the engine compartment) and a suggestion from Trampas Costello at peparts that the belts/seats may not work well with the top down (I guess friction from the top sitting on the reel)

Here are the pics he sent... I hope this helps someone.

-DMA

Old 06-15-2004, 12:48 PM
alan911sc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI, I am too exploring belts for the little enthusiasts. Mine is a 1990 vintage C4 Cabrio USA and it indeed did have the threaded boss on the rear bulkhead for belt attachment. I'm contemplating getting 3 point belts w/o the inertia style retractors so they will fit flat and not interfere with the cabrio top. JC Whitney has this style for about $40 a set. I just haven't had the time to pull up the rear bulkhead cover to determine the best method for attachment. I was thinking of using my old eye bolts from my removable 5 point harness I had in my 911sc so I could clip the belts in as needed or go with grade 8 bolts and make it more permanent. I'll let you know how I make out, I probably get to it in the next few weeks, untill then the enthusiasts have to ride in the Expedition.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:18 PM
dma550
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Alan

Thanks for the tip.

Which ones were you looking at there? I couldn't find any locking retractables for $49.99 ea.

Actually, the JCW ones here: (watch link wrap)
http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...X&appId=482260

for 29.99 ea would be fine. I don't care if they are non retractable, actually it would be good to belt the kiddies in nice and tight rather than having them standing up. We only would go for short rides anyhow, and perhaps a buzz to Lime Rock for race days (to watch!)

-DMA
Old 06-15-2004, 01:48 PM
alan911sc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking at the non retractables, I think they would be better as it would keep them from leaning forward as you can with retractables. This way you won't have to worry about them hitting the seat backs should an accident happen. My little guys like to play with the retractors and sometimes loosen things up to be of concern. It's a non issue if they're strapped in a car seat but they are almost ready to fit in the mini seats in the rear without a seat or with the use of a booster.

Quick Reply: 964 cab and kid seats (big kids)