Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

airbag replacement - it's due for all of us...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 10:48 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Mercedes has had a driver's airbag since at least 1986. They have been testing old airbags and keep updating the replacement interval. So far, they are not recommending replacement of the bag in my 1986 300 E. I'll bet the Porsche airbags can also get a life extension, particularly for garaged and pampered cars.

I think the airbags are fine, and should be left alone.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:36 AM
Gregg-K
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems to me that Porsche airbags have a specified life span of 15 years, but in the absence of Federal enforcement, replacement is up to one's own conscience.

My nephew is an investigator for Canada's Federal DOT, and he's told me a number of times about the corruption in the 'rebuilt airbags' industry ... guys selling bogus product. One guy was busted more than once, but re-opened under different names. Guess the prospect of big $$ is enough to overcome some peoples' sense of ethics.

.. Gregg
Old 06-16-2004, 12:17 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 426 Posts

That stinks that people are that way, Gregg. More and more like that these days (hopefully they all flee North to Canada!!! Just kidding ).

With that in mind, either I'll get one at the Porsche dealer ( $$ ouch) or have faith in Springer3!!!
Old 06-16-2004, 01:20 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am not sure I would replace the airbag even if I knew it was expired. The safety benefits have been exagerated by the authorities that mandated them in the first place. Airbags undoubtedly saved lives, but a huge number of airbag caused injuries were not reported because the NTSB did not want to admit a mistake.

Airbags are safer in the new cars, because the requirements have been relaxed to permit the contribution of seat belt. In the old regulations, the bag had to protect an unbelted driver or passenger. As a result, they were very powerful. The 964 generation air bag will injure you in wrecks that you would otherwise survive unscathed.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:38 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yikes, don't tell me that!! That's why I got a 964 was for the airbag!!! Well, partly...

So wouldn't it be better to replace it with a newer version?! Then it doesn't smash my face!
Old 06-16-2004, 02:55 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I know is the Porsche airbag a lifetime product which lasts longer then the 10 til 15 years of age. This is metn for Porsche only. Other cars/brands may have a replacement sceduel but I am not sure Porsche have a replacement scedule.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:23 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I advise anyone who has time expired airbags fitted to their auto to check with their insurance company.
This subject is under intense discussion and there are potential serious issues at stake here.
The manufacturer of the airbags pre 1991 life limited them to 10 years. 1991 and onwards it is 15 years. Once these limits are exceeded the airbag manufacturer is no longer liable for airbag failures.
I am not sure on the legality of an auto manufacturer extending the life of airbags. However in the end an auto with time ex airbags installed might become a liability for the owner.
Is it legal for instance to sell an auto with time ex airbags?
These are all the questions being passed around and none have been answered yet but expect the TÜV in Germany to act this year on the subject.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 06-16-2004, 03:24 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by garrett376
So wouldn't it be better to replace it with a newer version?! Then it doesn't smash my face!
I don't know if the recalibrated airbags got developed for the 964, but I would be very surprised if they did. Fortunately the structural integrity and the crumple zone design for the 964 are quite advanced. You have pretty good protection for such a small car, but you can't get around simple Physics. Heavier cars protect better in crashes, so get a Hummer if this really bothers you..

Seat belt tensioners have a bigger safety benefit than air bags. Tensioners let you have a comfortably loose seat belt until the crash, and then an explosive squib fires and pulls the belts to prevent your body from impacting the belts. The 964 unfortunately lacks seat belt tensioners. My 1986 Mercedes has them, despite a sticker price of about 1/2 of what my C2 cost in 1992. However, the Mercedes has the same steering box that GM developed in the 1940s, and is not much fun to drive.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:44 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,168 Posts

I have info from an old PCNA internal document I purchased off of Ebay. It claimed the life expectancy to be 10 years on the air bags. Gives an entire procedure on how to detonate the air bag for disposal upon replacement.

These air bags were first generation and are not the best. I don't know if replacements are available and whether the new units are first or second generation design.

I found replacing my steering wheel to be one of the best improvements to my car to date. The three spoke slightly smaller wheel positions my hands slightly lower and makes driving more fun and less fatiguing.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:07 PM
vuugti
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boy guys the solution sounds pretty simple, trade your airbag wheel (out of warranty) for the sweet three spoke non-airbag wheel from the RS. definitely an upgrade and for you 964 folks an easy one. My 993 was pretty easy as well, minus the stupid horn. If the manufacturer won't stand behind it I'd junk it. Seatbelts save lives. The detonation trick sounds like it could be a real experiment.

Andy
Old 06-16-2004, 08:22 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by vuugti
three spoke non-airbag wheel from the RS.
Andy
How much do those things cost? What's the part number?? Is this the one mentioned from AJ USA?
Old 06-17-2004, 02:42 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Adrian is right in a legal way. It's a tricky issue.

The problem is that a airbag not always will work in a crash. This does not mean that it fails, not at all. In my experience as a service manager, I saw a lot of crashed cars with hughe damage, but without the airbag came out. As long the bodywork can absorb the energy of the crash, the airbag will NOT go off. A logical thing is here that people that had a crash in the front, not will be hurt as long the seatbelt was on. So please, a non working airbag in a crash is not a faulty airbag.

Lot of the newer cars have two phase airbags. Phase one for a light crash where a airbag is needed, phase two in a heavy crash.
This because of the burn wounds you can get at a airbag function.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:41 AM
vuugti
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arjan - Burn wounds!?!? Ditch the airbags!

Garrett - part # 993.347.084.80.8yr, blk wheel. Very nice a real Momo wheel all leather, not the one AJ USA is selling. Contact Sunset, last count there was one, in montreal warehouse. 1-800-346-0182, price was 245 with the hub. No association, they just didn't hassle me like others about a non-airbag wheel.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 06-17-2004, 01:19 PM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Andy,

Yes, burn wounds. In case the airbag will do it's work you could get burn wounds in your face because the heat inside the airbag from the detonation of the airbag . There is a gas or some have tablets inside who will explode in a activation to blow up the 'bag'. People who are sitting to close towards the airbag will have burn wounds in their fase. Not that they will stay forever, but you can see it after things happen.

This is seriouse what I am telling you.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:16 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,168 Posts

My brother-in-law had a front end collision in a Dodge. Early generation Air Bag. Minor collision but the air bag deployed. He had burns all over his face and neck. They were not serious, 1st degree, I was told they were chemical burns. For the amount of damage to the car he was hurt by the air bag more than it helped. The impact from the bag also pushed his glasses into the bridge of his nose causing a good gash and a bloody nose.

Quick Reply: airbag replacement - it's due for all of us...