Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few good pics of my new to me '93 RS America

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 11:36 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Excellent notes on the vent kit and belt. If the car does not have the vent kit, it most likely also has the original distributor belt. It seems the general consensus is to change the belts around 50k miles, but age plays a significant role in belt failure. And the lack of a vent kit makes the belt age prematurely.

I just picked up a ’93 RSA over memorial day wknd. No vent kit so I assumed it also had not had the belt changed. When I opened up the distributors, the belt was frayed in two spots, severely cracked and nearly crumbling. I was very lucky that it had not failed already. I called a dealer and was quoted $800 for a rebuilt distributor (they do not sell the belt as a separate item). Called another local P-Car shop (non-dealer) and they ordered in the belt for $8 and the vent kit for $9.

My car has about twice as many miles as yours, but due to the same age, it is good advice to look at the belt and replace it if needed.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:59 AM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Dizzy belt?
Old 06-14-2004, 12:01 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Ahhh...distributor belt. Is it a DIY job to replace the distributor belt? I guess I should at least check mine to see their condition. I just bought the 964 companion book. Will that have some instrucitons in it for checking these belts? Where do I open the distributors to look at this?
Old 06-14-2004, 12:17 PM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a pretty complex job so I would not suggest changing it yourself though if you want to know how to do it and make up your own mind you can try Louis Guerra's Site (Thanks to John Mile's site for the link)
Old 06-14-2004, 12:42 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks good but there's something you need to do... Like this:
Attached Images  
Old 06-14-2004, 01:53 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

>>"Ahhh...distributor belt. Is it a DIY job to replace the distributor belt? I guess I should at least check mine to see their condition. I just bought the 964 companion book. Will that have some instrucitons in it for checking these belts? Where do I open the distributors to look at this?"

Do a search on this page for "distributor belt" and read through the old threads. There are links and there are some additional notes from guys here who have done it.

As far as attempting it yourself, how much of your own wrenching do you do? If you dont do much more than checking the oil and tire pressure, dont start exploring your mechanical abilities with this job. Its more complex than changing the oil, but nothing as hard as changing synchros in your transmission.

I spent about 2 hours finding and reading notes and instructions before attempting the job. It took me an afternoon to complete. Would have been much less but the hardest part for me was to get the rear screw loose on the secondary distributor cap. I had to run to Sears and buy short blade phillips screwdriver to get it off. Other than that, and the crush pin that holds on the drive gear on the primary distributer shaft, I found the job very straight-forward.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:33 PM
JoeW
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! I've found the RSA to be a pretty nifty package, though not the lightweight the marketing folk would have liked us to think -- but the lack of power steering is absolutely marvelous ... I drove over 800 miles this weekend and really enjoyed all the back roads in the Finger Lakes region of NY! Joe W.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:47 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

As far as attempting it yourself, how much of your own wrenching do you do? If you dont do much more than checking the oil and tire pressure, dont start exploring your mechanical abilities with this job. Its more complex than changing the oil, but nothing as hard as changing synchros in your transmission.

I spent about 2 hours finding and reading notes and instructions before attempting the job. It took me an afternoon to complete. Would have been much less but the hardest part for me was to get the rear screw loose on the secondary distributor cap. I had to run to Sears and buy short blade phillips screwdriver to get it off. Other than that, and the crush pin that holds on the drive gear on the primary distributer shaft, I found the job very straight-forward. [/B]
I've done quite a bit of my own mod work on my Audi TT including installation of an FMIC & Exhaust, short shifter, coils & dampers, so I'm not shy about it. If I have good, clear directions and access, I can get the job done. I'll do a search and see if I can find some info. Meanwhile, I'd like to be able to check on the belt this evening. Any quick directions for accessing the belt for observation only?
Old 06-14-2004, 03:54 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 597 Likes on 459 Posts

Just observing it isn't very helpful unless it's broken - just change it! It's pretty simple as these things go.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:21 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Tonight I will find the links and threads I thought were the most helpful. Here is one with some pics on P-Car:

http://p-car.com/diy/dualbelt/

As far as a quick check, I dont think its that easy to see with the distributors still in the car. But you can try.

Remove the plastic duct from the heater blower motor (couple hose clamps on each end). Leave the plug wires on so you dont have to deal with pulling them off (which is a pain) or numbering them. Remove the 2 screws on each of the caps (you might need to pull a wire or two to get better access to the lower/backside screw on the secondary distributor, and I needed a 2 1/4" blade #2 phillips). When both caps are loose there is enough clearance to lift them over the rotors. Pull the rotors off, they are just a slip fit on the shafts, then remove the dust covers. You might be able to get a sneak peak at the belt at that point.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:24 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by garrett376
Just observing it isn't very helpful unless it's broken - just change it! It's pretty simple as these things go.
I just didn't know if there was something I'd see that would make it urgent.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:27 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Thanks Oddjob...that's a big help.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:40 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

The www.porsche964.uk is the John Miles' site listed by Jim Howley above. Some good info and pictures there.

I also liked the write up on the P-Car link I posted ealier.

There is also an old thread I found using the search on this page written by alan911SC on 14 JAN 04 with a title of "Distributor Belt Replacement Tips (long)" that added a simpler technique to swapping the belt (doest require pulling the secondary distributor shaft out).
Old 06-14-2004, 10:24 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Thanks again.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:24 AM
eddychan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great car, and congraduation!

Is it me or really your oil level is a bit on the low side. I noticed that you warmed up the engine at 9 o'clock temp and yet your oil level is low. With about 8oorpm, I assumed you were in idle.

Interesting to see the RS interior is slightly different, I like the door trim which is better than my c2.

Distributor belt is not such an easy task IMHO. However, you should have it changed. Just take a look about the consequence if you don't in John's site.

Welcome and enjoy your 964!

Eddie
91 C-2

Quick Reply: A few good pics of my new to me '93 RS America