Sponsored by:

Pagid or Porterfield?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 10:45 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pagid or Porterfield?

Just booked my 964 in for a 24k service with PCT at the end of the month, prior to my Nurburgring trip.

My brake pad light came on this week too, so timing is perfect for new pads.

PCT have suggested Porterfield, but reading the archives, Tony Taylor found these to wear quickly, and had a good experience with Pagid Yellow.

My questions (NB I use my 964 daily, and cover quite a few miles (2000 per month))

1. how quickly do the porterfield's wear?

2. Are Pagid yellow suitable for road/everyday use too

Any other suggestions?
Old 06-10-2004, 11:41 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

I asked this question lately, Rob. For general bashing about, textar OEM are hard to beat, apparently. Piers mentioned Type 911 doing him a deal, but I haven't got around to 'phoning them yet.

Anything more performance orientated is going to be compromised in terms of needing to be at the correct temperature, or premature disc/rotor wear.

Out of interest, how many miles have you got out of your current pads?
Old 06-10-2004, 11:43 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Johnny - I've no idea how many, as I bought the car part way through the life of the pads. I have, however, done about 8000 miles since buying the car, and done one track day.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:41 PM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Rob, i used Porterfields for my Ring trip last year, they were fantastic, but i havent tried the pagids, so i can't compare. I was told the Porterfields would be kinder to the disks than the Pagids, thats why i chose them. The porterfields were quite a bit more cash though. I think for front pads, ATE brake fluid and delivery i paid £125.

The porterfields give significantly more breaking power than textars. They work differently. Textar OEM's give gradual braking with lots of feel which is good for road driving. The porterfields (once properly bedded and warmed up a little) give a gradual feel for about 50% pedal travel, then they bite hard - ideal for the track.

Regarding life expectancy, they lasted me a long weekend at the ring easily, i didn't have to change them out for a few months after. I guess it depends how heavy you are on the brakes at the track.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:48 PM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Pagid or Porterfield?

Originally posted by robmug
Just booked my 964 in for a 24k service with PCT at the end of the month, prior to my Nurburgring trip.

My brake pad light came on this week too, so timing is perfect for new pads.

PCT have suggested Porterfield, but reading the archives, Tony Taylor found these to wear quickly, and had a good experience with Pagid Yellow.

My questions (NB I use my 964 daily, and cover quite a few miles (2000 per month))

1. how quickly do the porterfield's wear?
Mine lasted 800 miles

2. Are Pagid yellow suitable for road/everyday use too
I have no problems as such but you do need to push a bit harder when they are cold if you want to stop

Old 06-10-2004, 06:58 PM
Ragin' Bajan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have Porterfields (4S I think) which is what I use for daily driving, but they're driving my crazy with the amount of acerbic dust they throw up. I'm going to go back to the textar pads and swap pads for the track (pagid oranges).

Quick Reply: Pagid or Porterfield?