Sponsored by:

Brake pad life

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 10:09 AM
tonyp
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pad life

The cars in for a service and I am told that it needs new brake pads all around. I only had them replaced last October and whilst I have done 20,000k since then, most of my driving is done on the motorway. Is this normal wear or is my servicer trying it on???
Old 06-08-2004, 10:20 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have usually done about 10-12K miles between services and I need brake pads every time (although this time it was only the fronts). Usually, this is before the wear indicator light comes on but it has a couple of times so I believe I do need them at this period.

Having said that - I know that I brake very hard and many of my journeys are quite stop / start. So in 20,000kms (about 12,500 miles) it's entirely possible you might need them - but if it's mostly motorway miles I'm surprised (especially that you need them all round).

I'd stop by the service place and take a look at them.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:05 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In terms of wear rates, yes, it's entirely possible to need replacements after 20K miles of use. Since everyone uses their brakes differently, however, it's hard to put a firm number on typical pad life, especially with the variety of compounds available.

The real question, though, is whether the change is necessary. I would ask the shop to return your used pads. They began life with appox 7mm of pad material, not including the backing plate. If your pads were down to 3mm or less of braking compound, then it was time to switch. If not, then the job may have been premature.

Quick Reply: Brake pad life