Oil looking liquid under the passenger seat next to do

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2023, 02:13 PM
Alexd912
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Oil looking liquid under the passenger seat next to do

Hey,

I had to remove my pasenger seat (LHD car) and I noticed what looks like oil close to the door, but sort of got me wondering as its close to where the oil pipes are under the sde cover.
I had the oil pipes rebuilt with all the correct rubber pipes and fittings so unless one of those is somehow leaking in to the car I am a bit wondering what it is.
There is no oil under the car in that area at all, so wondering could it be the black mastic compound on the floor melting to put a better word from the heat from the oil?

Here is a picture of the area.

Alex

Old 10-05-2023, 04:19 PM
ZG862
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Maybe it's just my phone but can't make out liquid in that picture.
the sills on the left of the car are pretty conventional - other than that they have the heater ducts running within them. The oil pipes are on the outside of the skin, covered by a clip in plastic panel.. On the cabin floor are the controller boxes, looms and sound insulation in your pic. The only liquid likely to get in there iunder normal circumstances s rainwater or spilled drinks.
Any info on its viscosity?
Old 10-06-2023, 01:50 AM
Alexd912
Racer

Hey,

Thanks for replying

So the "liquid" was black and dark in colour, but it was a bit sticky, but fluiid enough that I could wipe it up with a kitchen paper.
Reason for my thoughts it was sticky is as I found German coins and Euro's there stuck to the floor.
I did mange to pull the coins from the floor , so now I am about 3 Eur richer

It was down that one side closest to the door and under directly under the seat where the cruise control unit is as you mentoned.

As for drinks I can safely say in the 2 years I have had the car there has been no drinks not candy
I did have an issue last year where water was coming in to the car from the lower AC vents under the dash due to a blocked overflow pipe, but all fixed now and cant imagine it could flow through the carpet all the way to under the seat as all is dry. uner the carpet.

I will wipe the area clean as I have to drive it some 60 to 100km this weekend so lets see what appears.

Big thanks for takingt the time in replying to me.

Alex

Old 10-07-2023, 07:05 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

I don't think that's engine oil. Can't really see how it would get unter the seat. It may be an old coke or other sugar drink spill. The water evaporates and you are left with a semiliquid blackish mess. Does it smell like oil or more sweet. I am not suggesting you taste it 😁
Old 10-08-2023, 10:52 AM
Alexd912
Racer

Hey,

Cheers for taking time to reply.

I took it to a mechanic who will be serving the car and he said the same as you. Maybe something got spilt there.

I drove 120 km to the service place and there was nothing that resembled any liquid there, so not going to panic

But tasting it

Cheers again.

Alex

Quick Reply: Oil looking liquid under the passenger seat next to do