9 magazine

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 02:06 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question 9 magazine

Anyone seen a US publication called 9 magazine? If so, any comments on it?

Cheers
Old 05-27-2004, 03:16 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I've seen it and bought a copy once. I don't know if it's still in circulation or not. The issue I bought was small. It's was obviously a new magazine just starting off when I bought mine. I haven't seen any in new stands since then.

It was small, but not bad.

Old 05-27-2004, 07:52 AM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

I had a subscription their first year-and it is still published- but let it lapse. It is aimed at the DIYer, but IMHO most of the articles were either from PCNA PR department (about the new cars) or written by vendors. Most of the advice seemed to be to go to one of their advertisers. Some interesting stuff but not worth it to me. Just an opinion and I am sure there are others who differ.

Al
Old 05-27-2004, 09:10 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I've seen it on the newsstand and was a little unimpressed with production quality, i.e. black & white newsprint, novice styling, etc. Compared to some of the slick alternatives, 911&PW, Excellence, Car, EVO, etc., I found it somewhat lacking.

As for content, as Randall suggested, it seemed geared towards DIY'ers and some of the features appeared to be reprints of hacks found on the Pelican Tech section. I'm not sure a print version was really necessary. The niche may exist, but it seems most potential subscribers could probably glean this info from the internet.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:45 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

Yup....I too have been seriously underwhelmed.

It is actually published by a resident of my state who has taken part in my local PCA region. But there is way too much content devoted to older cars, and it reminds me of certain other publications, where every install goes well, and every product works as advertised.

I will take the free copies that they pass out at local events and auto shows, but I will not be subscribing.

Note to Phil Raby: I expect that I will be getting a new issue tomorrow at our Fiesta del Porsche event in Santa Fe. I would be happy to drop in in the mail if you would like.

And while I don't recall the title, they also started a Mercedes publication too. Pretty much the same look and feel as 9.

And not to polish anyone's apple, but for my $$$$, I think 911&PW is pretty much the best out there, not that Excellence and Pano are slouches either.

BGL
Old 05-27-2004, 12:59 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by BGLeduc

And not to polish anyone's apple, but for my $$$$, I think 911&PW is pretty much the best out there, not that Excellence and Pano are slouches either.

BGL
I agree. But I think none of them are really great on the kind of things Rennlist and Robin Sun's p-car.com and Adrian's book focus on which is the How-to. I like Phil (that wanna-be 964 owner) Raby's d-i-y articles and I like the diy articles of Excellence (even if they are less step by step focused) but they are a tiny part of the mags content. Anyhow my 2cents.

Last edited by Ruairidh; 05-27-2004 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:03 PM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Interesting feedback on 911&PW - thanks. I've applied for a free sample copy of 9 from the website, but I'm not sure if I'll get it because I'm overseas.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:05 PM
delhi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's much much smaller in content compared to the other porsche mags. alot of DIY stuff. My local Indigos have 'em. But not very frequent though.
Old 05-29-2004, 03:47 AM
3.8 964
Advanced

Originally posted by Phil Raby
Interesting feedback on 911&PW - thanks. I've applied for a free sample copy of 9 from the website, but I'm not sure if I'll get it because I'm overseas.
Good luck getting your free copy! I too am overseas and was offered the 'free first copy deal' six months ago. There's a huge thread on Pelican about the free offer that either never materialized or took way more than a reasonable time. I personally have had many apologies and committments from 'Nine' to get me a free copy before I commit to a sub., and I'm still waiting!
Old 05-29-2004, 03:50 AM
3.8 964
Advanced

And while its not directly related to the theme, I subscribe to Excellence, 911 and Porsche World and buy GT everytime I see it. All have their +'s and -'s.

Excellence for me is a few too many high end cars that I will never buy, 911 is a good DIY read and GT has simply beautiful photography.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:15 AM
bikeaddict
Intermediate

911 and Porsche World and Exellence are both great. Unfortunately, UK mags are getting pretty expensive here due the exchange rate. Excellence is like $5 and 911PW is nigh on to $12. And if there's a 964 in there I'm a sobbing fatfarm escapee staring at an ice cream stand handing my money over.......

Quick Reply: 9 magazine