Dual Mass Flywheel Paranoia

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 10:15 AM
Taj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Dual Mass Flywheel Paranoia

Hi Guys,

I am getting a little worried about a rattle I get when I switch off my C2, but I have receipts and paperwork from a reputable garage (pick up motorsport) in London indicating that a new clutch and flywheel had been fitted 15k km ago i.e. 2 weeks before I bought the car. So how do i diagnose a failed/failing DMF. The car also has option 220 LSD, and is a 91 model year.

I have tried Adrians "put it in gear and rock the car" test and the car moves about 1 to 1 1/2 inches and then stops as the slack in the transmission is taken up.

So anyone having good reliable symptoms, or a really good diagnosis method i'd be really interested in your thoughts.

Thanks,

Taj.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:19 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Taj,

Before you switch off the engine, press the clutch in & then turn off the car. I bet you then get no rattle! It's pretty common for C2's to do this & it's not your flywheel! I think it's the input or lay shaft or something like that...

Andy
Old 05-26-2004, 12:03 PM
Christian K
Racer

I also worried about this when I bought my car and did a lot of asking around. I found out that the majority of C2 (and C4?) owners have a rattle when turn of the ignition. I had my car at a garage and said it was transmission noise.

I was also told that there is no warning when the flywheel is about to break. Threre is no 'in between' stage. Either it is ok or it is kaputt. And when it is kaputt it shows under load, when accelerating. I was told that common signs are vibration in the gearstick, feel of loss of power ...

cheers

Christian
Old 05-26-2004, 05:29 PM
Richard Talbot
Intermediate

My C2 also came with a rattle, that has got no better or worse over 6k miles, near clutch and flywheel 2k before I bought it

cheers
Old 05-26-2004, 06:13 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Christian K
I found out that the majority of C2 (and C4?) owners have a rattle when turn of the ignition. I had my car at a garage and said it was transmission noise.
I never had this noise with my C4. Think it is a C2 issue...
Old 05-26-2004, 06:42 PM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My C2 also does (well did, god knows what it will be like now...) this occasionally on turning off the ignition. Probably 20% of the time. I am surprised I remember as it is so long since I last drove a 964...

So IMHO nothing to worry about if that is all!
Old 05-26-2004, 09:16 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

Taj

I have the rattle only after the engine has been warmed up and by depressing the clutch the rattle dissappears. I was always under the impression that it was the dual mass Freudenberg making the noise but after reading the posts above it may not be and replacing it with a Luk may not resolve the issue.

Bill
90C2
Old 05-26-2004, 09:24 PM
adamsbr
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the rattle in my C2. I've had the car for 1 1/2 years, 8,000 miles since I bought it from a friend. He had the rattle too. BTW it's the only rattle, that car is tight.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:24 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you have a DMF failure, believe me, you will know it.

Search the archives. I put up a post on it when mine failed. BELIEVE ME, if it fails you'll know it!!

Taj, you didn't by any chance used to own a Mitsubishi 3000 GT (SL, VR-4, or whatever)?

Old 05-27-2004, 06:21 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

If the DMF is broke, you will notice this, a sharp ticking, and you wil have drive train sounds in your car. In idle you will hear a sharp ticking sound and will go away for a short time if you go off the gas when you rev the engine before.
As Bill already said, you will notice this, no doubt about it.............
Old 05-27-2004, 08:39 AM
Taj
Racer

Hi guys,

Thanks for all of your views and I suppose Christer is the closest with his experience - 20% of the time is just like mine. I will now provide a liitle for info, On one occassion I could get the noise to appear by depressing the clutch fully and letting it spring back to position. It also seems to appear more on my driveway which has an incline of about 10 degrees......confusing eh?

Taj.

Quick Reply: Dual Mass Flywheel Paranoia