Sponsored by:

Parts and opinions for 3.8 build

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 04:36 PM
Chris 911
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks everyone for input here,
Have had some communication with FVD (a bit pricey on a few of the parts though) as well as LN engineering. Also reached out to David Gouk, thanks @jeff33702 , so let´s see. It seems I should reconsider the Motec approach for now, and see what can be done with a new ECU, it seems that FVD can provide me with that.

@Bill Verburg I saw your other post (one of many I presume) about the wiring harness changing to Varioram, so I will try to see if I can get the harness upgrade kit (which apparently is the whole harness) for the 993 Varioram, and see how it can fit. Question though, you say you changed to Varioram on a non-varioram 993. I happen to have a non-varioram 993 as well, where it will most likely go through an engine build next year (it has a fairly standard engine, but the rest of the car has been heavily modified). Have had many discussions about the intake, and Colin swears to Varioram, but a lot of the other builders (Rothsport, Singer +++) go for the GT3 intake with ITB. What is your take here?

Yes the Mahle´s I have are for 993, but stated they work for 964. They are (unfortunately) the 107mm cylinder case (not the 109), and with 11.4:1 compression, The pin diameter is 23 mm. It seems that the rods that Colin specified when I spoke with him were specially made to work with the 964 crank. I have a set of 993 rods, but I don´t believe they will fit on the 964 crank. Colin mentioned that a way to go would be to opt for a Gt3 crank, but then I need a rod that will suit the GT3 crank and the Mahle kit that I have (if not to change that entirely).

I´ll keep you posted
Old 07-18-2023, 05:45 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris 911
Thanks everyone for input here,
Have had some communication with FVD (a bit pricey on a few of the parts though) as well as LN engineering. Also reached out to David Gouk, thanks @jeff33702 , so let´s see. It seems I should reconsider the Motec approach for now, and see what can be done with a new ECU, it seems that FVD can provide me with that.

@Bill Verburg I saw your other post (one of many I presume) about the wiring harness changing to Varioram, so I will try to see if I can get the harness upgrade kit (which apparently is the whole harness) for the 993 Varioram, and see how it can fit. Question though, you say you changed to Varioram on a non-varioram 993. I happen to have a non-varioram 993 as well, where it will most likely go through an engine build next year (it has a fairly standard engine, but the rest of the car has been heavily modified). Have had many discussions about the intake, and Colin swears to Varioram, but a lot of the other builders (Rothsport, Singer +++) go for the GT3 intake with ITB. What is your take here?

Yes the Mahle´s I have are for 993, but stated they work for 964. They are (unfortunately) the 107mm cylinder case (not the 109), and with 11.4:1 compression, The pin diameter is 23 mm. It seems that the rods that Colin specified when I spoke with him were specially made to work with the 964 crank. I have a set of 993 rods, but I don´t believe they will fit on the 964 crank. Colin mentioned that a way to go would be to opt for a Gt3 crank, but then I need a rod that will suit the GT3 crank and the Mahle kit that I have (if not to change that entirely).

I´ll keep you posted
1st off you have a 964 base engine

the 964 Motronic is not the same as the 993 Motronic, The OBD1 993 ans 964 Motronics are both 55 pin but the pin out functions are totally different, It would be a nightmare to try to replace one w/ the other

both the varm and non vram 993 OBD1 Motronics use the same harness the only difference is pin1 and pin32, it's very easy to rectify that when switching from nvram to vram

That is why i suggested that you obtain a 55pin 993 harness, and DME to replace the 964 versions in you car. Similarly the 993 Mahles need to be used w/ 993 crank and rods or custom rods that mate w/ the disparate ends.
The alternative is Motec, It's unfortunate that Colin seems to be is limbo he was the best at that.

I don't see how 993 Mahles can work w/ 964 rods

964 small end is 24.25mm
993 small end width is 18.75mm

Old 07-21-2023, 12:23 PM
ePa
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I got my engine back earlier this year and now i have doing some easy km before adjustment and take out full potential.

My receipt is
  • Mahle 3.8
  • Carillo rods
  • FVD sport cams
  • 993 oil filter mod
  • 993 coils
  • 100 cell cat
  • g-pipe
  • Motronic custom software by erikoismoottori.fi (should be matched with new setup)
  • stock injectors (green giants waiting software update)

Previous setup was similar with stock 3.6 and it did 222,1kW (40kw more than original setup without mods) with 7200 redline.

In long run goal is to setup Motec with e-throttle.
The following users liked this post:
Stavarda (07-21-2023)
Old 08-10-2023, 04:28 AM
Chris 911
Advanced

Thanks Bill,
I got in touch with LN Engineering, and then with Alexander Beenen here in Europe, who have been very helpfull with input. So, the build is taking a bit of a different direction:

- RS Varioram intake
- David Gouk´s heads
- LN Engineering 4.1 l P/C
- Carillo Rods
- Schrick cams
- Either GT3 Crankshaft or EVOMS GT3 crankshaft
- Elephant racing secondary oil cooler kit
- 100 cell cats
- "G-pipe" / Secondary muffler delete

For the wiring, I saw another thread about the "repair kit" for 993 varioram harness, which is supposed to be the complete harness (000-043-204-61). I am still going to try to see if a local Motec dealer can help with Motec, but it´s a pity that I don´t get feedback from Colin, so the 993 harness and Motronics would be my second option.

Will keep you posted
Old 08-10-2023, 05:30 AM
konrad911
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts

Chris you're mentioning Motec, take a look at ecumaster.com
They are based in Poland, where I am, they do all the manufacturing in-house.
Top notch products and service and they are just across the pool for you.
I've done 964 3.8 + VarioRam (+exhaust +cams +injectors +more) and 993 non-varioram to VarioRam conversion based on their ECUs.
I'm currently building another 964 for my friend (VarioRam + more), also on their stuff.
And they already have correct settings for 964/993 knock sensing as I was in their Lab and they did spectrum analysis to tune their systems on the 993 mentioned above

Here's the 993 and at 4:24 you can see the Ecumaster's lab dyno with 993 on it ;-)

The following users liked this post:
jeff33702 (08-10-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 03:30 PM
Chris 911
Advanced

Thanks Konrad,
That seems like a good option, I´ll check them out.

I have also been looking at the EVO MS Crankshaft, as it seems like a good step up from the standard GT3 crankshaft (my god is this slope slippery...) Anyone have any experience with that? Seems like they have an offer code from time to time, but have not found any doing a quick search ;-)
Old 08-17-2023, 04:28 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris 911
Thanks Konrad,
That seems like a good option, I´ll check them out.

I have also been looking at the EVO MS Crankshaft, as it seems like a good step up from the standard GT3 crankshaft (my god is this slope slippery...) Anyone have any experience with that? Seems like they have an offer code from time to time, but have not found any doing a quick search ;-)
Most use
9971020218D 80.4mm 997 GT3RS 4.0 crank w/ an ATI RS 750 super damper(modified for the crank by Rothsport or Neil Harvey)

Quick Reply: Parts and opinions for 3.8 build