LionelB
Burning Brakes

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts

Hideous
Old 07-19-2023, 09:30 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,256 Posts

I saw that as well. What happens when spare are NLA for these body kits? Reminds me of the days of the old Avalanche. They were crazy money and look at them today. LOL At one time said to be worth $700k I suspect selling it today would be optimistic.

I do find it interesting that built in 1986 it does use turn signals and fogs etc on the front bumper from a US spec 964.

Last edited by cobalt; 07-19-2023 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-19-2023, 11:10 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 823 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I guess that is why neither of us own a McLaren. LOL. There isn't much to a 964 tub albeit far stronger than G body on back but as we all know the coupes are much more rigid than the Cabs and targas. I don't see singer doing any crash testing and with all the safety equipment/impact bumpers, airbags etc removed I prefer my old heavy 964 with all the insanity of todays drivers. IMO it is far safer to drive on the track at speed than on the highway. If you look at the new RuF cars they are all CF and impressive however when speaking with them at Amelia they said depending on if any of the structural panels are damaged the car would not be salvageable just like many of the new cars using bonded aluminum and CF. I would still take a Ruf over a singer if you can find one for sale.

No doubt properly made Structural CF can be very strong but the layers add up in weight. The quality stuff is still stupidly expensive compared to most of the bolt on cosmetic stuff we see. Although Porsche pricing for sheet metal is getting outrageously expensive.

You might appreciate this: An early attempt at CF years ago. Ventilation for a 962 street car.

A CF piece I helped my friend with for his 962 street car. Very sturdy and light

Trying to ventilate a 962 cabin isn't easy.

This is the car it is going into. The CF is quite sturdy but not light with all the cross weave layers. It has its place and when done properly is amazing stuff I agree. Hopefully we will see it unveiled at Rennsport this year. Maybe the parts will someday become more reasonable to buy. The new GT car fenders are very light but cost more than my C2 did not many years ago. Crazy.

I would like to see things like this for our cars but Bob will never sell them and I probably can't afford it.

Impressive work for sure. Most of the stuff I mess with is just cosmetic, I can see the liability with crash worthiness parts and not wanting to repair.

Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
After the recent Festival of Speed footage, I can't say the design has grown on me at all.... It looks like a bullfrog from the front, and the front three-quarters looks like a glitch in the camera, or a front end and back end from two different cars.

Yea, I change my mind lol. The original pics looked nice, everyone else's are not flattering at all. Front looks like a new Cayenne or something, too much black and too wide. Goofy looking.
Old 07-19-2023, 11:49 PM
hiroshikato1
Racer

Received 316 Likes on 170 Posts
Default I am not a Singer owner but…

the comment about the quality improving on their cars is very true. Look at the CF weave matching on this DLS. The stripes are also not film or paint, it is some crazy process where the pigment is apparently in the CF. My friend has a DLS and was tempted to order a design like this one but eventually went with Black Olive.

Old 07-20-2023, 01:33 AM
Spyder_2011
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 114 Posts

I could never fault Singer for the quality of their work but this new DLS Turbo looks out of sorts. In general I’d much rather have a nicely done 964 over any of their cars but I guess that’s what makes the hobby great, something for everyone.
Old 07-20-2023, 09:27 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyder_2011
I could never fault Singer for the quality of their work but this new DLS Turbo looks out of sorts. In general I’d much rather have a nicely done 964 over any of their cars but I guess that’s what makes the hobby great, something for everyone.
This is where the problem lies. At the rate these cars are being gobbled up for backdates and new reimagined 911's there won't be any left for the common man to enjoy. For close to $2M the workmanship better be top notch. I find most who own clean 964's aren't selling and what I see 90% of the time are cars with needs or damage that the buyers aren't aware of. Who will repair a DLS with exposed CF weave when something happens? I doubt Singer will touch it. They won't touch any damaged tubs so if you damage it, what happens to it? Or will it take 3 years for them to start over to fix it? Much like the DeLorean. Nice SS body but when you see one painted it is because they couldn't get the repair to look correct.

The future is heading towards if you want to buy a 964 we may have to accept one backdate or another, damaged goods or give up on our dreams. We may even see the subchapter Singer or backdate here on rennlist.
Old 07-20-2023, 10:37 AM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 325 Posts

We may even see the subchapter Singer or backdate here on rennlist.
Sad to even think about. I hope that just like for all the weird longhoods that got forward-dated in the 80s/90s to look like G bodies/964/993 and got returned to stock at some point, we start to see the same with these backdates. Obviously you're never going to see a Singer un-backdated, but there are SO many smaller shops that have been building backdates and trying to draft off of Singer's success, often at a low level of quality - I hope at some point when those become undesirable, we start to see those un-f%^&ed.

Which makes me wonder - we know in broad strokes how many Singers have been built (and therefore how many 964 coupes pillaged by them), any guesses on the total number of backdates in general, not just Singer?
Old 07-20-2023, 12:10 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 823 Likes on 570 Posts

This is where the problem lies. At the rate these cars are being gobbled up for backdates and new reimagined 911's there won't be any left for the common man to enjoy. For close to $2M the workmanship better be top notch. I find most who own clean 964's aren't selling and what I see 90% of the time are cars with needs or damage that the buyers aren't aware of. Who will repair a DLS with exposed CF weave when something happens? I doubt Singer will touch it. They won't touch any damaged tubs so if you damage it, what happens to it? Or will it take 3 years for them to start over to fix it? Much like the DeLorean. Nice SS body but when you see one painted it is because they couldn't get the repair to look correct.

The future is heading towards if you want to buy a 964 we may have to accept one backdate or another, damaged goods or give up on our dreams. We may even see the subchapter Singer or backdate here on rennlist.

Who is the common man when a normal one is now $100K+ ? Those days are long gone I'm afraid.
Old 07-21-2023, 08:45 AM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

Well the median price for a new car these days is $50k, the common man needs to step up his game to drive anything good, lol.
Old 07-21-2023, 10:23 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I live in the NYC area. I don't see many cars valued at less than $100k on the road. Most Escalades I see are $100k+. I got tapped by a woman in a RR SUV at Costco the other day and she tried to blame it on me. LOL Meanwhile she was parked next to a Urus S, Macan's Cayenne's and Taycan turbo's or any higher end marque are pretty much the norm.

I can only say what I see by me. Homes are selling for 20% over asking and more and what was a $60k house 20 years ago is now selling for $600k. Most homes are tear downs and I see $1M for homes that 5 years ago weren't moving for $650k being torn down and huge McMansions going in with 12+ car garages. I don't live in what used to be considered an overly affluent area so I'm not sure where all the money is coming from but it seems to be never ending. So what is the "common buyer" these days?
Old 07-30-2023, 02:37 PM
rjf
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Balisong
That’s EXACTLY what came to mind for me!
The following 2 users liked this post by rjf:
928 GT R (07-31-2023), Balisong (07-31-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 01:50 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnK964

My opinion on this rear 🤮🤮
grotesque
Old 08-15-2023, 10:07 AM
928 GT R
Rennlist Member

Received 5,365 Likes on 2,062 Posts

Proof that you can go too far...
Old 08-16-2023, 11:53 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 126 Posts

I keep looking at it to see if it will grow on me, and it hasn't. The rear just looks like a crazy import body kit around a 964.
Old 08-17-2023, 07:18 AM
ZG862
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I had the Tamiya 1:12 934 kit when I was younger and as a result rather appreciate all the little nods to 934 and 935 styling that Singer have incorporated. I think that without the wing it looks unbalanced but for what it's trying to be (i.e. NOT a factory narrow body 964) it does a very good job. I saw it in the flesh at FoS and it certainly has presence. The quality of finish and detail is superb.

Quick Reply: The new Singer beautiful or make you puke