Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 09:17 AM
DavidI
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Quick windscreen washer question

Hi Folks,
My windscreen washers do not operate. Occasionally, if I've not tried them for a while I might get a very short spray that doesn't reach the windscreen, but it doesn't even last a second. The intensive wash bottle was full, so I presumed I had a problem with the non-return valves in the 'T' and 'L' pieces, but have changed them this morning and still no joy. I don't think the intensive wash bottle is filling up now when I spray.
The fuse for the spray tests ok, but neither the windscreen spray nor the headlamp spray is working (tested with the lights full on).

Is it possible that the pump is broken? When I operate the washers the only thing I can hear is the wipers operating, no other pump seems to be working. Can anyone advise whether you can hear a washer pump?

Thanks as always,
Regards
David
Old 05-22-2004, 10:30 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe I can hear my pump when it runs (car is being serviced at the moment so can't check). But - more to the point - the normal washer system and intensive system have different pumps, one on each reservoir. So either they have both failed, or it's not that.

At least the intensive washer system has a relay - I remember because I checked mine. Can't remember if the normal system does - but it's something worth checking.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:32 AM
DaveK
Race Car

By the way - if your intensive bottle was filling up when you spray that suggests your normal washer pump must be working.

Could you have blocked jets?

One other thing - which is a long shot - you could have a leak. A year or so ago, I found that every time I used my washer, water dripped down onto my feet. The washers did still work - but the bar joining the two wipers had sawed through the connecting pipe and left quite a hole.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:36 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: Quick windscreen washer question

Originally posted by DavidI
The intensive wash bottle was full
Is this the same as the reservoir you fill from the gas cap area? That's where the windshield washer fluid resides. The intensive wash I'm familiar with provides fluid to the headlight jets and accessed through the front compartment.

I'm hoping it's this simple.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:04 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear David,
The intensive washer system provides fluid for the windshield not the headlights. It does not self fill. It is good for about 4 to 6 good sprays.
The main reservoir is under the left side fender and the filler is next to the fuel tank cap.
There are 2 pumps in this tank.
I would advise you clean the system out from the tank to the jets. Low pressure compressed air will do the trick.
This system is very simple, tank, couple of pumps, some line. No fluid through normally means a blockage. The headlights washers only work when the headlights are turned on.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 05-22-2004, 05:57 PM
DavidI
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks all. It appears there is a relay for the intensive wash (and for the headlamp washers) but not for the standard washers. I've removed the tube on the right side of the luggage bay (closest to the washer reservoir, furthest from the intensive reservoir) to see if spray even makes it this far, but no joy. The intensive pump had already failed - this was spotted at the last service and I decided there was no point repairing it as I was never going to use it. Regretted that one from a back-up point of view as well as when I got a mouthful of screen cleaner syphoning the tank empty to see if more liquid was going from the main reservoir to the intensive reservoir.

I'll empty the tank and try and clear any blockage. Seems unlikely that 2 pumps in 1 tank would fail, but as the pump in the intensive system has gone I guess it remains a possibility.

Thanks all for the ideas,
Cheers
David

Quick Reply: Quick windscreen washer question