Sponsored by:

NEW Wheels Arrived! Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 02:10 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to show my car from the opposite side (AND that my grass is actually a step or two above that of my neighbours.....! AHEM!!!!)

Cheers,
Old 05-22-2004, 02:18 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

While I'm posting, I would appreciate opinions as to the terrible handling I'm experiencing since putting the new wheels on. The wheels really need new rubber as the set of P-zero's have spent some years in storage and are also fairly low. However I am surprised that the car feels very..well..."squirrely" for want of a better word (or even a word, lol)! They are noisy (very, very noisy) and the car seems to be jiggling around (another want for a word) on anything but the smoothest surface! Driving the car today (I've been trying not to till I sort the dizzy belt - not broken but presumed slipped) the car tramlined into the slightest grooves on the freeway...very disconcerting to say the least!!!
Old 05-22-2004, 05:14 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Sounds like the sort of problem you get with 'mixed' tyres, so I expect it's down to the P-zeros...
Old 05-22-2004, 07:56 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Howard, I alway liked your D '90 chrome wheels also......................
Old 05-22-2004, 09:49 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally posted by Arjan B.
So did I, in an offbeat sort of way.

Howard, have you seen those crested wheel centres on the Rennlist Direct site, that always point the right way up....

You gotta get 'em!
Old 05-22-2004, 10:17 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nice lawn!

What pressures are you running? I've had the P-Zeros on 17's and felt the Factory recommendation of 36 psi all around worked well. Also, when was the last time you had an alignment and corner balance? The stiffer sidewalls of the 17's will communicate a bit more about your setup than 16's. Finally, the P-Zeros are a bit harsher than most street tires (stiff sidewall design) but if there's still life in them, they offer very nice grip and handling. And yes, they tend to be a tad loud over certain surfaces.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:45 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by joey bagadonuts
Nice lawn!
Thanks Joey, couldnt have fellow 'listers think I was a slob in the lawn dept. !

Joey I'm running 39 all round, I'll try lowering to 36 and see if it improves - I think the tires are maybe shot from being stored plus they are fairly low on the rears.

Originally posted by Arjan B.
Thanks Arjan, they looked "ok" when very clean, but once the gleam had faded (like after about the first 1/2 mile) they didnt compliment the car too well IMHO.

Originally posted by John Boggiano
Howard, have you seen those crested wheel centres on the Rennlist Direct site, that always point the right way up....
Have you seen how much center caps are??? WOW..some are over $100 a cap! Guess I'll wait until payday and the wife is out!! I bought a set of "Carerra 4" script ones for $40....it feels like I'm spending hundreds on the car each week, especially with my current ratio of 40:60 for breaking vs. repairing and combined with my new title of "chief of spares aquisition!" ....

BTW, I couldnt believe the work JD has done on Rennlist Direct - I kept scrolling and scrolling and scrolling through all those tire wheel/cap combos!!!!!! It looks GREAT JD if your reading!
Old 05-22-2004, 12:57 PM
JoeW
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any idea how long the tires were in storage, Howard? What about their mfg. date? Old tires get hard, so .... maybe?

Great lawn!! ... but it does bring your priorities into question Joe W.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:30 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

JoeW, youre probably going to say "no wonder!!" My understanding is that they were new on a '96 993 have been in storage for 5-6 years since '98.
Old 05-22-2004, 09:01 PM
JoeW
Pro

As everyone here can tell you, I'm no expert (blush), but the hardened rubber of the stored tires could be a suspect is my guess. Maybe one of the folk with more knowledge will chime in on this part. Joe W.
Old 05-22-2004, 09:44 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Kahdmus
JoeW, youre probably going to say "no wonder!!" My understanding is that they were new on a '96 993 have been in storage for 5-6 years since '98.
Kahdmus:

Junk those tires. New on a 1996 could mean they were even manufactured back in 1995. IMO 8-9 years old is too old of a tire to have on a high performance car. That rubber breaks down just from age. They certainly could be damaged (severely flat spotted) if stored on a car for 5-6 years (if in fact that is how they were stored).

When I bought my '86 911 back in 1997, it had tires on it from the early 1990's. The fronts (all four were Dunlop DM40 II's) had excellent tread. The rears were worn, but useable. I contemplated keeping the fronts since they had such nice tread left, but junked all four and bought four new DM40 II's (I miss those tires!). Best decision I made was to get fresh tires. What a difference!

Good luck,

Jay
90 964
Old 05-22-2004, 11:08 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jay, I am told tires were boxed and placed in storage. However I am certain you are correct. New tires I guess......well, nobody can say this addiction is cheap! LOL!
Old 05-23-2004, 12:37 AM
Surf Twang
Instructor

Howard,

Your car is looking great! Now you're going to have to update your avatar.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:12 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Kahdmus
Thanks Jay, I am told tires were boxed and placed in storage. However I am certain you are correct. New tires I guess......well, nobody can say this addiction is cheap! LOL!
It's never cheap it seems... I'm sure you could continue to use the tires at normal speeds for a bit yet if they don't show signs of damage, but maybe high speed driving should wait until you have new tires... Best to be safe!

Regards,

Jay
Old 05-23-2004, 01:46 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Jay H
It's never cheap it seems... I'm sure you could continue to use the tires at normal speeds for a bit yet if they don't show signs of damage, but maybe high speed driving should wait until you have new tires... Best to be safe!

Regards,

Jay
Agreed!

Quick Reply: NEW Wheels Arrived! Pics!