Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got Adrians book! Graphite grease for lubrication, or....

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 08:38 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Got Adrians book! Graphite grease for lubrication, or....

I finally got Adrian's book in the mail!

I was looking to lubricate my cab top and spoiler- I was hoping for some diagram pictures with arrows of where to lubricate since I'm mechanically challanged , but I think I can get figure out the main areas to lube. Anyway, the book recommends "graphite grease". I'm not sure of what that is, but in anticipation of getting the book and checking for recommended lube spots, I purchased a can of Wurth HHS 2000 lubricant. I was told by a reputable member of the PCA that this stuff is "the best", but that was a general statement not directed at specific parts of a 964. I wound up searching all over to find it (seems to not really be sold in regular retail stores here in the US, or at least in New Jersey)..

Anyway, I was wondering if this is sufficient as a lubricant on the spoiler and cab top latching motors and any other hinges I can easliy get to on the cab top? It says on the can it is a "lubricant, resistant to high pressures and with high adhesive strength. Penetrates into tighest areas easily. Sets into a high temperature grease"

Here's a link describing what I have (I have no affiliation with the attached link & didn't buy my can on the attached site, it has a good description of the product though so I attached it).

http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/sub...+and+Adhesives

I don't want to use this stuff thinking I'm helping my car only to screw something up...seemed to work GREAT on my sticky throttle body/cable on my '78 VW, and on the annoying squeaky rear doors of my sister's old honda, and seems to have survived a couple of rain storms without "washing away"...

Thanks!
Andrew
Old 05-15-2004, 09:02 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

You will probably not come to grief either way. However:

1) Violate factory recommendations at your own risk.

2) Mixing two types of grease can have undesirable results.

3) Some materials attack plastics parts.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:08 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Hummm.. maybe I'll see if I can get ahold of some graphite grease...
Old 05-25-2005, 04:02 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

I posted this a while ago, but never got around to lubeing the spoiler....no problem with it's operation, but I do want to lube it before there is a problem. Anyone have a specific type of grease to use (what is "graphite grease?") I have some "multi-purpose lithium grease"- will that work, or will that mix wrong with whatever is on there from the factory?
Old 05-25-2005, 04:10 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

http://www.shop-pitsco.com/pitsco3/c...ion&linkid=443

No affiliation. I think you'll find a graphite lube at any auto parts store. The trick is, it's a dry lubricant, good for locks etc as well.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:13 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

So it's actually a fine powder? The book just says to lube it with a light graphite grease, but doesn't go into much detail... about where to lube or with what. The last thing I want to do is try to do preventative maint. and screw something up
Old 05-25-2005, 04:15 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I remember years ago my father use to use graphite in a powder form to lube hinges and stuff on cars. Never seen or looked for it in grease but it sound lke something that would be out there somewhere.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:32 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always keep a tube of the graphite powder in my shop... I also bought some teflon powder that is even slicker! I use the teflon to lube the action in some of my guns... It has 1000 other uses too.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:35 AM
mxbanker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bicycle shop is a good place to get graphite grease- fyi
Old 05-26-2005, 10:17 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Thanks MX....I'm going to try a bike shop...didn't see any in the auto parts store.

Quick Reply: Got Adrians book! Graphite grease for lubrication, or....