Sponsored by:

964 DME Diagnostic

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 01:04 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts
Default 964 DME Diagnostic

Had a shop guy state, in reference to a 964, that they could hook the computer (DME) up and read the fault codes to check if there is any running problems in the memory/history.

I thought the 964s use a version of the bosch L-jetronic/motronic, which does not have a self diagnostic system that I am aware of.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:44 AM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The 964 diagnostics can be read out through the 19 pin connector on the passenger footwell using a bosch 'hammer' (kts 300 or kts 301) diagnostic tester. This is an OBD-I device, which requires specific firmware for our cars.

This tester is required for some maintenance on our cars such as bleeding certain hydraulic systems, etc.

Additionally 964 models from 1991 and newer fault codes can be read out using the engine light.

Hope this helps,

Kirk
Old 05-13-2004, 10:49 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Kirk,

I appreciate the response. I wasnt aware of this capability, thanks.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:53 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

The KTS 300 will also log your engine sensor data during a test drive.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:52 AM
performo
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Additionally 964 models from 1991 and newer fault codes can be read out using the "engine light."

Please explain what you mean with "engine light"
Old 05-17-2004, 07:02 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

US models only! are fitted with an engine check light which will illuminate when the DME logs certain faults. You can then activate this system and the light will flash in code giving you the fault that has been logged.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 05-17-2004, 11:22 AM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone heard of connecting a laptop pc to the 19 pin connector on the passenger footwell ?

I used to be able to do this on my old audi S2 with a great free piece of software.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:03 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

There have been threads posted on the topic. The most knowledgeable seem to agree that poking around is dangerous to both the car and the PC. You could, for example, trigger the airbags if you send the wrong voltage to the airbag controller, which is connected to the diagnostic plug. Considering the cost for any 964 control module, I would not touch the plug without understanding the system.

It is theoretically possible to get a PC to read and write to the 19-pin diagnostic plug. At least two gentlemen have been trying for some time to come up with an aftermarket alternative to the Bosch hammer. There will likely be software available soon, but none is available at present (I looked for the past 2 years). Writing the program is evidently a daunting challenge. Baum tools reverse-engineered a scan tool that reads the 19-pin plug, but you will be out around $4,000. I understand it does not have the functionality of the Bosch Hammer.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:49 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

10 years and we are still waiting. I might also remind people as I do everytime this comes up that beware the overall costs. If you have to go out and purchase a suitable lap top, the software and the interface (when somebody makes them work) the costs are still going to be high. I would certainly be reluctant (based on previous experience using PCs hooked up to similar systems) to use my personal laptop hooked to car until reliability of the software is proven. However consider the costs before running out and purchasing anything that may come out.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 05-17-2004, 09:16 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"However consider the costs before running out and purchasing anything that may come out.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4"

Well put! Not only the dollar cost of a complete tester, but also the unknown costs,
e.g. mis-diagnostics & wasted time, damaged controllers, and costly unnecessary
repairs.

Can't really believe this to be a real effort because of the total market (low ROI).
Baum Tools did it to appeal to a broader market (964, 993, 928, 968, & 996) and
not just 964 & 928. The Baum tool is still very limited compared to the Hammer or
the Porsche ST2.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:25 PM
Laurence Gibbs
Racer

what gets me is that Bosch have stopped making these testers (kts301) there IS a market for them at a sensible price,(the development costs surely written off by now) the technology is close on to twenty years old (assuming the tester was developed at the same time as the cars) i.e. for a major player like bosch to make a similar device would be cheap as chips. A small microcontroller and a few ancillaries make the hardwear even if shop bought less than £50, the real cost being in the development of the software. I find it difficult to believe that the Bosch Motronic DME fitted to the 964 is oh so different to the obd1 standard(yes I know it predates this but Porsche must have been working to this standard by then, the 993 launched just four years after is obd11 compliant). The reason they don't do it I guess is Porsche wont let bosch release the software WHY oh WHY oh WHY.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:02 PM
DougB
Advanced

Folks,

I have the mythical diagnostics software for the 964. However, it requires the use of a special level converter (ISO-9141 <> RS-232) and some electrical skills. Also, I've not found a mate for the 19 pin connector so hooking this thing up can be a challenge--I've actually installed a new connector in my car along side the existing one. So far, one other fellow has successfully used the software using a level converter of his own design.

Currently the software will not operate the PDAS locks or bleed the differential locks on the C4 but it will read trouble codes on the Motronic, PDAS, Air Bag and HVAC ECUs.

If you're not afraid of reading schematics and using a soldering iron then let me know, I'll give you a copy of the software to tinker with.

-doug

doug.boyce@hummingbird.com
Old 05-20-2004, 02:32 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Somebody did find a supplier of those diagnostic cable plugs and I believe they wanted circa $US400 each for them.
I also remind people that the Bosch Hammer requires special adapter connectors to be able to troubleshoot the PDAS/ABS control unit, alarm units etc. It can read the fault codes from the diagnostic port and you can bleed the locks from the diagnostic port but to get into the system you need the special, expensive and rare as rocking horse pooh, adapters/break out units.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

PS: Porsche crushed their Bosch Hammers when they moved to the newer KTS 500 series. BMW did the same. Only Opel offered theirs onto the second hand market. A lot of what you find on European Ebays sites are Opel units.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:56 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Adrian
... and rare as rocking horse pooh, ....
This is a new one on me!!! LOL!
Old 05-20-2004, 03:33 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Howard,
Where I come from this is a fairly standard saying when alluding to the fact that they are somewhat hard to find.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4

Quick Reply: 964 DME Diagnostic