Sponsored by:

Saratoga Top for C2 Need Targa Expert

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 01:33 PM
roboformer
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saratoga Top for C2 Need Targa Expert

I have a new Saratoga Top for the Targe, it has the dual hook latch, It fits on my 964 however I have the roller latch locking system and without latching it sdown its of no use to me. Does anyone know who/where or how to get this to work on a 964?

Thanks for any help
John
Old 05-12-2004, 10:10 PM
964TOK
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi John,

I have been looking for a hard top similar to this for quite some time. I was offered a Saratoga one by 'carsinc' (details below) but his price seemed a little high. He did mention the top would require a mod to fit, he should be able to tell you what u need to do to make fit.

Where did you get your top from & if you don't mind me asking what you paid for it, I still want to get one.

Let us know if you manage to get it to fit & what the mod you had to do.

Cheers
Derek

carsinc@comcast.net

PH 609 298 2277

Dan Carsinc
Targa Top Restoration &
Vintage Parts Seller
Porsche Answer Man
5 Matthew Court Ste B
Bordentown NJ 08505
Old 05-12-2004, 10:33 PM
roboformer
6th Gear

Default Saratoga Targa Top

Derek

Thanks for the info, I saw his postings on eBay and contacted him about this..have yet to get an answer.

I got the top at an estate sale, owner Never used it..and you really dont want to know what I paid..people running the sale had no idea what it did , they knew it was for a car and that was it
I have seen these appear on eBay infrequently and prices are all over the boards, from $400.00 to $1,000.00

I dont know if it is worth $1,000..the problem with the Saratoga is that the only place to store it is behind the seats, its a bit too big for the trunk (boot).

I will let you know what carsinc can or cannot do...if he can make this work for me I will also post about driving experience with the Saratoga , noise, leaks, etc..

John
Old 05-13-2004, 11:40 AM
roboformer
6th Gear

Derek

Here is the reply I got."There is no way I know of to make hook latch top fit a roller car."

What was he offering you?

John
Old 05-15-2004, 08:09 AM
964TOK
Racer

He was offering me a Saratoga top, he told me what he wanted for it & said it would need modification to fit. I did ask him for more information re the mod but got no reply. I got a another mail from him a couple of weeks later & told him I was not really intersted at his asking price but told him where I was willing to trade but got no reply.

Maybe the guys at pelican could tell you how to make it fit, they sell an after mkt one but only fits 74-89.

As mentioned above, I really want a second top like this for the winter months. Let me know how u get on.

Thanks
Derek
Old 05-15-2004, 12:47 PM
roboformer
6th Gear

I think what Pelikan carries is called the Sparetop..I will check it out. I have seen it advertized as made by Sundialenterprises.
I was thinking it may be handy or I may be able to use its latching system for the Saratoga so I asked the guy at Sundial if the sparetop would fit on my 90 C2 and He answered with "The prob is the sparetop is so simple the guys that have a large investment like yours do not feel it is equal to the rest of the car… but I do not sell it that way.. it is what it is a sparetop… does not use any porsche hardware and comes complete headliner, simple side seals and all mounting hardware"

All that told me is that I dont want to deal with him...I am not giving up yet!
Old 05-15-2004, 01:04 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

The targa hard top sold by Pelican is a fiberglass shell that replaces the vinyl on an existing top. To quote the Pelican:

"This fiberglass hard top attaches to your existing Targa frame and utilizes the stock latches and seals. The black gel-coat finish is ready for paint or covering with an OEM type vinyl. The inside is ready for a glue-in headliner – no sewing required. The top is fabricated with hand-laid fiberglass in a mold fabricated from an original factory hard top. The installation is easy and takes advantage of existing screw holes in the frame and is rigidly attached when properly installed."

The .pdf installation file can be found here:
jm_prod/targa_install.pdf

I believe the Sundial top is a complete hard top. To secure it down, it uses the 2 locating pins in the back and 2 bolts that pass thru the plastic/rudder trim on each corner of the windshield These two holes need to be drilled and a flanged fitting is inserted into each hole to give it more holding power.

Does anybody have a spare frame for "91 targa top?

Old 05-15-2004, 01:08 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Or I should ask, what's the difference in the '74-'89 targa frame to the 964 targa frame?????
Old 05-15-2004, 01:17 PM
roboformer
6th Gear

I believe the frame is the same, the latches on the 964 are roller ended while the earlier latches are hook ended..the two dont interchange. I have seen all three (First series Targe, 74-89 and C2.4 and the earlies was a single hook, middle was double hook and C2/4 ..roller end..I didnt measure them but from outward appearance the latches were the only difference

With a new Targa roof ringing in at about 5 grand It looks like I need to hook a large chain to mine
Old 05-16-2004, 10:04 AM
964TOK
Racer

What about seeing how many of us are looking for one of these tops & try approaching someone direct. I did a post a couple of months back but did not get much response. I can't seem to be able to attach the post but the subject title was

'Targa owners - any interst?'

Quick Reply: Saratoga Top for C2 Need Targa Expert