Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seasucker or similar user reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2023, 11:20 AM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 247 Posts
Default Seasucker or similar user reviews?

Hey all

I have a new mountainbike coming my way (to replace a trusty old Ellsworth) and would like to make a point of riding more diverse trails than I can cycle to. My 964 is my only Real Car so it’ll have to haul the bike. I’ve looked at the SeaSucker in the past and never heard a bad thing. Checking for any first hand experiences on the 964 or similar aircooled, or any alternates that you all liked?

https://www.seasucker.com/collection...products/talon
Old 01-21-2023, 12:20 PM
Tomfun
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 60 Posts

I have Thule gutter mount towers that fit standard square bars. I have various bike and ski mounts I can then fit to the rack, and it works great. For extra protection I have small pieces of rubber to cushion the interface between the towers and the rain gutters. I also sourced two sets of towers so I could have taller ones in the back and keep skis level. As a result I have a second set of towers if anyone is interested.

Tom
Old 01-21-2023, 12:32 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

I had a similar set up on my E30 but found that the wind noise was significant and frankly I used them so infrequently that the suction cup version is quite attractive to me
Old 01-21-2023, 01:25 PM
ChrisI
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 57 Posts

Can't answer your sea sucker question. I've thought about them, but I just can't bare the thought of damage to my car or the bikes should anything were to fail.

More importantly...post pics of the bike! I'm in the process of a dream build right now (my first) Commencal Meta TR - Fox Factory Suspension, GX AXS, etc, and selling my 2017 Trance Advanced and 2020 Norco Optic C2.

I toyed with the idea of installing a rack on my 964, as previous owners had already damaged the frame rails from clamping on them. However I scored a factory Votex rack for my 1993 Corrado so that takes me to all my MTB adventures.

The following 3 users liked this post by ChrisI:
dukmon (01-23-2023), klokwerk (09-22-2023), misteralz (01-23-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 01:35 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 145 Posts

I am an avid cyclists. Mostly I use my Jeep to transport my bikes. However, I have from time to time used my 964 for carrying bikes using Thule square and rack setup. Extra padding on the foot. Works great, but it takes time to set up each time, hence the Jeep is used 95% of the time.

The sea suckers are a great solution, and I have used them on my earlier car, 993. I did find they marked the paint, and while you could polish out the water Mark they left behind, i personally would advise against them. I sold them.
Old 01-21-2023, 01:39 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

The paint on my car is really quite abysmal (parked outdoors year round in ct) When you say they marked the paint do you mean after leaving them on for long periods or just for a day trip?
Old 01-21-2023, 01:48 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by r-mm
The paint on my car is really quite abysmal (parked outdoors year round in ct) When you say they marked the paint do you mean after leaving them on for long periods or just for a day trip?
The watermark was there after a day trip. It needed some elbow grease to remove. I had read if you use 100% water aka no minerals, then no watermark is left behind. I didn’t experiment with that solution.
Old 01-21-2023, 01:49 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Bike pics you say? My current rig is a 26er Ellsworth Truth - all alum full suspension, made in the USA and quite a nice ride in its day (and today). I've had it since about 2007. Much like my 90's daily drivers (964, E30) I like the Ellsworth for what it looks like, what it represents and how it rides. That said I rode some modern 29er bikes and thought that if I could find something that also piques my interest, I'd be willing to buy new. Buying ANYTHING new is not in my genes but I really liked these guys from the UK called Cotic bikes. They make a full suspension Reynolds steel / 6061 bike called the FlareMax. They launched the bike with made in UK frames and now source them to Taiwan, something I don't consider a demerit. The frame costs less than a comparable chinese carbon frame which lets you fit it with some really excellent, light components (Hope brakes, Hunt wheels, SID ultimate fork, etc) and net out a bike that weighs in many cases LESS than what the same spend would get you in an all carbon bike with lower end bits. I don' have it here in CT yet but will send pics when I do. Til then a link and pics of the old Ellsworth will have to suffice.

https://www.cotic.co.uk/product/flareMAX

Old 01-21-2023, 01:49 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Spokes
The watermark was there after a day trip. It needed some elbow grease to remove. I had read if you use 100% water aka no minerals, then no watermark is left behind. I didn’t experiment with that solution.
by "use 100% water" you mean to lubricate the suction cup to body interface?
Old 01-21-2023, 02:43 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

by "use 100% water" you mean to lubricate the suction cup to body interface?
Yes.
Old 01-22-2023, 06:25 PM
911ren20
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Sea sucker is perfect. I had my bike on the car, drove across the country at my "normal" driving speed. Rushed up and down pikes peak multiple times.

Old 01-23-2023, 01:42 PM
forbiddenbeat
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 126 Posts

Used a Seasucker on my old Audi RS5 and it was perfect. Of course that car was modern paint with clear coat, but it never affected the paint at all. I was installing and removing every ride though, which only takes maybe 2 minutes total.
Old 01-24-2023, 06:31 AM
mark lintott
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a Seasucker I use for my roadbike. Its a great solution but honestly its difficult to get the paint and the rubber sucker clean enough to avoid small swirl marks in the paint. The rubber sucker obviously "moves" slightly from vibration when driving and any specks of dirt or dust caught between it and the body will cause minor scratches in the paintwork. Attaching to glass is not a problem at all. I think for any other car it may be fine but my Pcar is very sensitive to skin damage...!

Made a holder to take the rear tyre.
The following users liked this post:
earlyapex (06-03-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 11:36 AM
ChrisI
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 57 Posts

Nice Ellsworth! They were always something of a unicorn, often written about but never seen in the wild! I've heard of those Cotic bikes before, and I love the clean lines of steel tubing. Should be a fun bike when it's built up!

Bike pics you say? My current rig is a 26er Ellsworth Truth - all alum full suspension, made in the USA and quite a nice ride in its day (and today). I've had it since about 2007. Much like my 90's daily drivers (964, E30) I like the Ellsworth for what it looks like, what it represents and how it rides. That said I rode some modern 29er bikes and thought that if I could find something that also piques my interest, I'd be willing to buy new. Buying ANYTHING new is not in my genes but I really liked these guys from the UK called Cotic bikes. They make a full suspension Reynolds steel / 6061 bike called the FlareMax. They launched the bike with made in UK frames and now source them to Taiwan, something I don't consider a demerit. The frame costs less than a comparable chinese carbon frame which lets you fit it with some really excellent, light components (Hope brakes, Hunt wheels, SID ultimate fork, etc) and net out a bike that weighs in many cases LESS than what the same spend would get you in an all carbon bike with lower end bits. I don' have it here in CT yet but will send pics when I do. Til then a link and pics of the old Ellsworth will have to suffice.

https://www.cotic.co.uk/product/flareMAX

Old 01-25-2023, 11:39 AM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Thanks! I obviously like stuff that's a bit off the beaten path. After looking at a dozen different all carbon bikes the Cotic seemed like a breath of fresh air, and the "Gold" build they offer is impressively light with some fantastic components. To be ridden in anger shortly I hope!

And if anyone (~5'7"-5'10") want's an Ellsworth Truth built up with XTR and a 1x10 drivetrain, holler at me!

Quick Reply: Seasucker or similar user reviews?