Workshop manual on CD? Ripoff?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 12:44 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Workshop manual on CD? Ripoff?

I've seen the "Complete Factory Workshop Manuals" for 964s on Ebay a couple of times now. I really want to pick up a copy, but what I'm wondering is am I going to shell out 50 bucks for a copy of the CD that some guy just made on his computer for 2 bucks? I don't want to pay $50 for an illegal copy. I guess the seller would really be the one to ask, but I thought I'd see if anyone on the board had any experience with these CDs.
Brian
Old 05-08-2004, 01:08 PM
botoo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a copy off of eBay some time ago, and paid $26. I have no idea if it is an illegal copy or not. It seems to be page copies of the paper manual and complete. However, I think you will be disappointed if you are looking for much more information than you can find in Adrian's Book and the Technical Data Without Guesswork Book. One thing that mine contains, is the complete wiring diagrams which have helped me out a time or too. It is lacking anything about the Security System. The price was right for me and I would purchace another copy if I lost this one.
Old 05-08-2004, 02:02 PM
dumluk
Intermediate

I've seen these listings on Ebay, but they frequently get pulled because they aren't Porsche-licensed and the lawyers sit up and take notice...

Still, I wouldn't mind getting one.
Old 05-08-2004, 03:46 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought a legal copy of the 7-volume factory ring-binder manuals for $395 new from Tweeks. No regrets. I think they are still available, but prices are up somewhat.
Old 05-08-2004, 03:55 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Things I'm looking for in the workshop manual are procedures for some basic DIY upkeep types of things: changing tranny fluid, troubleshooting cruise control (Adrian's book has this, but I can't find locations for things he says to check like the Brake pedal microswitch, or the clutch microswitch. Does the workshop manual include that?) I have Adrian's book, and it does include a wealth of knowledge, but I was hoping that the workshop manuals might be more nitty gritty, schematics, locations of individual parts types of info. What exactly do the manuals tell you that Adrian's book doesn't? Thanks.
Brian
Old 05-08-2004, 04:29 PM
andrew964
Instructor

brian if you really want a copy I can put it on a web server (approx 300mb)
Old 05-08-2004, 06:55 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Brian,
If you check out the pictures of the clutch pedal assembly you will see the brake pedal switch. Only if you have cruise control do you have the clutch pedal switch. You really cannot miss them you just remove the plywood cover at the bottom of the pedal asssembly and take a look.
I also repeat again, Porsche NEVER released the manuals on cd-rom for the 964. If you purchase the ones from ebay you will find a scanned pdf copy of the manual as well on a complete out of date copy of John Miles web site or somebody elses web site.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:17 PM
jasonbu64
Instructor

andrew, I am sure that everyone would love it if you hosted the manuals for downlaod. Thank You in advance!!
Old 05-08-2004, 09:19 PM
John Miles
Pro

Originally posted by jasonbu64
andrew, I am sure that everyone would love it if you hosted the manuals for downlaod. Thank You in advance!!
But Andrew, this is a completely illegal copyright infringement if you do so and will bring Porsche lawyers onto you within weeks.
J
PS Porsche lawyers and Porsche do keep an eye on Rennlist forums.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:26 PM
botoo
Instructor

I have heard that "Complete Factory Workshop Manuals" were never released to the public anyway and contain a Note that says, "THE WORKSHOP MANUAL IS ONLY FOR THE INTERNAL USE OF THE PORSCHE DEALER ORGANIZATION" and "ALL RIGHTS RESERVED".

I guess that makes it illegal for anyone to have one, paper or CD, that is not affiliated with Porsche.

When the closest Porsche dealer is 180 miles away and not available in an emergency, it is nice to have something available to help.
Old 05-08-2004, 11:45 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Aha! Just as I suspected (please pardon the Sherlock Holmes-esque exclamation)! No way am I going to pay somebody $50 for a $2 pirated copy that might not even be legible. However, does anybody use Alldata.com? I've been thinking of looking in to that, but I'd like to know how much use it is to a DIYer. Anyone?

Adrian,
You said, "If you check out the pictures of the clutch pedal assembly you will see the brake pedal switch. Only if you have cruise control do you have the clutch pedal switch. You really cannot miss them you just remove the plywood cover at the bottom of the pedal asssembly and take a look."
Do you mean the pictures on p. 191 of your book? What sort of switch am I looking for? I do have cruise control, so I should have the clutch pedal switch. I'm just at a bit of a loss at what to look for exactly. Thanks again for all your help.
Brian
Old 05-09-2004, 12:27 PM
HSB
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Brian,
I use alldata .com . I just completed my clutch/ flywheel and 60 K service. Alldata had detailed steps with some of the original Porsche pics. A one year subscription runs about $ 24.oo. Good luck
Old 05-09-2004, 12:59 PM
914und993
Pro

Originally posted by botoo
I have heard that "Complete Factory Workshop Manuals" were never released to the public anyway and contain a Note that says, "THE WORKSHOP MANUAL IS ONLY FOR THE INTERNAL USE OF THE PORSCHE DEALER ORGANIZATION" and "ALL RIGHTS RESERVED".

I guess that makes it illegal for anyone to have one, paper or CD, that is not affiliated with Porsche.

Yes, there is that statement in the front of my 964 and 993 manuals. It does seem to blur the legal distinctions a little bit.

Having the workshop manuals is very nice, both on paper and CD. The big advantage of the paper manuals for a shade tree mechanic like myself is the volume with the wiring diagrams, which is what I run to more often than any other part of the manual. The pirated CD copy of the manuals has the wiring diagrams, but they are difficult to use because they were not scanned at a high enough resolution, and each foldout page of wiring diagram is broken into two images.

Chip
Old 05-09-2004, 01:09 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Rich,
The paper copies of the workshop manual are legally available despite the front page statement. Porsche used to sell them themselves years ago now they sell to book stores and they sell to you.
Porsche also sell the service information manuals. Special customers are also given different sets of paper manuals.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 05-09-2004, 02:10 PM
andrew964
Instructor

Originally posted by John Miles
But Andrew, this is a completely illegal copyright infringement if you do so and will bring Porsche lawyers onto you within weeks.
J
PS Porsche lawyers and Porsche do keep an eye on Rennlist forums.
Thanks John Good point

Quick Reply: Workshop manual on CD? Ripoff?