Sponsored by:

964 RS is it worth having?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 02:08 PM
Formawerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RapidGT
I think if it was a private seller (or another dealer) and gave this reason for overpricing a car they would get laughed at to the point of pulling the listing or having to shut down the business. I understand paying top dollar for a top 1% all original and/or number 1 condition car. However, pricing based on what the future value maybe and discounting past sales is one of the dumbest reasons I’ve ever heard.

I think the car undersold on BaT at $300k, but $465k is a big ask even with the “Canepa difference” factored in. Usually consists of a throughly documented inspection, detail, service, and some light restoration work. Sometimes they may get away with just an inspection as the car doesn’t need anything, but still got the “Canepa difference”.
I expected a 50-100k increase from prior sale with the assumption they had the work done to back it up, and in fairness with some adjustment for market value. When I called in, one of the reps couldn't find any paperwork for what was done on the car upon reciept or any future work orders. They took 2 days to respond via email sending me phone images of documents for an 88' car, then when I responded asking for the correct documentation, the posted response was I received. Somewhat surprised given the visibility and proximity of the prior sale. I really would have expected Canepa to come to the table with clear reasoning for their asking price other than their brand namesake or expected market turn.
The following users liked this post:
jtallen (01-25-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 03:09 AM
TNturboS
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Curious if anyone has seen this Maritime Blue RS @ Merit and if you had any thoughts on it. I’m new to the 964 game and made rhe potentially expensive mistake of driving their Rubystone RS (color isn’t for me personally). This car has AC installed in it, apparently from the dealer in Germany. Thought I’d defer to some of the more expert opinions in this thread.

https://www.meritpartners.com/1992-porsche-911-carrera-rs-491491

cheers

Last edited by TNturboS; 01-30-2024 at 03:13 AM.
Old 01-30-2024, 04:45 AM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by TNturboS
Curious if anyone has seen this Maritime Blue RS @ Merit and if you had any thoughts on it. I’m new to the 964 game and made rhe potentially expensive mistake of driving their Rubystone RS (color isn’t for me personally). This car has AC installed in it, apparently from the dealer in Germany. Thought I’d defer to some of the more expert opinions in this thread.

https://www.meritpartners.com/1992-p...rera-rs-491491

cheers
$400k seems nuts to me.
Old 01-30-2024, 08:11 AM
egrossman
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 35 Posts

ANSWERED IN ORIGINAL POST

It appears to have A/C which seems strange. The Touring was available with A/C but this appears to be a basic (lightweight) version.

Last edited by egrossman; 01-30-2024 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-30-2024, 08:11 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 205 Posts

sky is the limit for somebody that has an obese wallet but then again it's a 964
Old 01-30-2024, 09:40 AM
MSH5
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by egrossman
ANSWERED IN ORIGINAL POST

It appears to have A/C which seems strange. The Touring was available with A/C but this appears to be a basic (lightweight) version.
Seen several Japanese RS's that have AC, apparently dealer fit.
The following 2 users liked this post by MSH5:
egrossman (01-30-2024), TNturboS (01-30-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 10:27 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,271 Posts

cheers
Nice car. I think there pricing is high though. Not nice enough an example to command their ask.
TNturboS (01-30-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 10:33 AM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Black German-market example going up for auction with Broad Arrow at Amelia Island in early March. Higher mileage example that was probably used as intended. From the description was repainted in the last 5 years. The no reserve and low estimate could make it an attractive prospect for someone.

https://www.broadarrowauctions.com/v...911-carrera-rs
TNturboS (01-30-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 11:33 AM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 318 Posts

Black German-market example going up for auction with Broad Arrow at Amelia Island in early March. Higher mileage example that was probably used as intended. From the description was repainted in the last 5 years. The no reserve and low estimate could make it an attractive prospect for someone.

They sure didn't provide many pictures lol. You would think in an era where so many bids come over the phone/online, they would be more forthcoming.

Anyhow, I love the fact that it's an "honest" car in the sense of nobody tried to remove the harnesses, etc. I can't really tell if it's had a shunt, etc cause there are not many pictures and I'm not the best person to analyze them anyhow. I would just assume it's had some bodywork given the mileage and the usage. I do have a feeling that while this car probably shouldn't go over the estimate (140-160k), it probably will. When you have no reserve and a car that seems more attainable to a larger percentage of folks, you can sometimes get so many bidders it drives the price up beyond the value pretty quickly. Will be interesting to see what it does.
Old 01-30-2024, 11:37 AM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 318 Posts

cheers
I'm not the right person to tell you if that car is a good one or not. But I have a few friends that have purchased cars from Merit in the past few years and they have all been good cars and as represented. I will say their prices are definitely top of market (and beyond in this case IMO), but they do seem to at least procure good cars (in the handful of examples I have seen in person).
TNturboS (01-30-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 12:03 PM
Formawerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cheers
This was in a private California collection (friend of a friend). It’s a really great car. Dealer installed AC is rare on RS’s and would have been +$65k but not sure where it was done.

Market price would be around $325-$350 given the color so definitely a high mark up. However, high recorded purchases also continue to drive the value of these cars up so it’s a bit of a double edged sword.

Old 01-30-2024, 09:15 PM
hgo
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by darylbowden
They sure didn't provide many pictures lol. You would think in an era where so many bids come over the phone/online, they would be more forthcoming.

Anyhow, I love the fact that it's an "honest" car in the sense of nobody tried to remove the harnesses, etc. I can't really tell if it's had a shunt, etc cause there are not many pictures and I'm not the best person to analyze them anyhow. I would just assume it's had some bodywork given the mileage and the usage. I do have a feeling that while this car probably shouldn't go over the estimate (140-160k), it probably will. When you have no reserve and a car that seems more attainable to a larger percentage of folks, you can sometimes get so many bidders it drives the price up beyond the value pretty quickly. Will be interesting to see what it does.
I was interested in this car when it was for sale overhere
honest car
i made an offer
pity i missed it
but certainly not show condition
darylbowden (01-31-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 10:50 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,961 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by darylbowden

I wouldn't call it all that honest. You can clearly see tape lines in pic 121 inside the tub and many decals missing, so I suspect it had a full refresh not long ago and why the need to paint the frunk and engine bay? I suspect you would want to look this one over closely and If you are spending these dollars at least have someone there look it over for you if you are a phone bidder. I suspect more pics would uncover more of its past. I will be there unless I get pulled to another auction. Although I suspect their estimate is about all the money for this one.
darylbowden (01-31-2024)
Old 01-31-2024, 04:55 PM
Micaa
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess it's all relative.

But I drive mine a lot and love them.
Old 01-31-2024, 05:55 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

They uploaded a lot more photos. Repaint quality definitely has some to be desired. Tape lines, orange peel, panel gaps, etc. . Like Anthony pointed out all the decals other than some in the frunk that were on a repainted surface were removed and replacements weren’t applied. Some of the brake calipers and wheels could use a refinish. The left rear brake rotor looks to be cracked. Maybe a small thing but pretty sure the steering wheel horn cover is not the original. Never seen one with a horn logo embossed on it like that. Also the aging and wear of it doesn’t match the rest of the steering wheel. Can’t be as a result of an airbag deployment as these cars don’t have them. Would be curious to see the underside as from the photo of the rear it looks to have a good amount of grime.

Definitely not a show quality example. A driver at best. Maybe a good example to keep tracking or to use as the basis to do some heavier modifications. All for the right price of course.

Quick Reply: 964 RS is it worth having?