Sponsored by:

Help me find my dream car

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 09:32 PM
dkeen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car will be used strickly for pleasure and will likely only be driven on the weekends. I currently don't have any plans to race it, but may use it in ralleys. I would likely keep the car for a while. I have held other "daily driver" cars for 10 yrs or more. I really would like to find a low mileage (<40K) car that is in tip top shape and doesn't require much work. I have seen some really nice 92-93 996 go for about 25-27K on Autotrader. In fact I missed on at a place called Texas Toys that I really like. I was about to make an offer and it sold. I am confident I will find something, but had no idea that it would take so long.

Thanks for all of your help and advice.

Dave
Old 05-10-2004, 12:01 AM
JoeW
Pro

Don't despair ... while we each have our stories, it took me 8 months of some work just about every day (that was after I'd decided on a 964), looked at 15 cars, did 3 PPIs ... and ended up very happy with what I've got (see sig.)

I think I should underline what Joey suggested above, that you look in the range of $24000-$27000, leaving $3000 or so for "deferred maintenance" or upgrades. If the maintenance is nothing but a set of tires, brake pads, alignment, and a 30k tune up w/valve adjustment ... you're up well over $2000! And even if it's perfect, you'll say ... "Gee, I'd really like to add _________." And the blank will be filled by something either performance or cosmetic-oiriented which always adds up to at least a thousand!

Have we said: be logical, be ready to walk away, but buy something you just plain love!

My suggestion would be for a 92 (all the important upgrades) or a good 90-91 with all the upgrades done. Low miles, all records, careful and proactive maintenance, brilliant PPI, and one of your top 3 color choices.

Are we helping? I hope so. Joe W.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:17 AM
dkeen
Addict
Rennlist Member

One of the other problems that I am having is a lack of cars in my area to look at. All of the cars I have "seen" are on the internet (autotrader, ebay, etc.). Were you able to drive 15 cars that were local (within 60 miles), or did you have to travel to see them? I am afraid that I will not be able to personally see as many cars as I probably should and will have to rely on pictures and a PPI.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:38 AM
DarrylC
Intermediate

Did you try Motorcar Investments in Raleigh? I have seen a number of Porsche's for sale by this dealer. I sure he could find you a 964.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:12 AM
dkeen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yea, I have been tracking Motorcar Investments. He has not had any 964s recently. I probably should give him a call to see if he could help me find one.

Anybody have any thoughts about this 89 Carerra is worth. Its not a 964, but really looks sweet (25K miles).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2476883464
Old 05-10-2004, 03:04 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

With not quite 25k on the odo, that rust under the windshield worries me. You would think if the car was used so sparingly, there would be zero rust damage. That's one red flag to me... One never knows how far in that rust damage might reach.

I'll reserve judgement on it's price until the auction ends. Looks decent enough though its a relatively common 911 (Guards Red over black). Probably a good concours/garage queen candidate if that rust is fixed and there is no accident damage or major paint problems that we may not be seeing... I'd look for something that has higher mileage and a smaller price tag if I wanted something to drive a lot. Once a person started driving it, there would be some depreciation as the miles piled on.

(Could they have applied any more dressing to the seats??? What a goey slippery mess...)
Old 05-10-2004, 10:20 PM
JoeW
Pro

Originally posted by dkeen
One of the other problems that I am having is a lack of cars in my area to look at. All of the cars I have "seen" are on the internet (autotrader, ebay, etc.). Were you able to drive 15 cars that were local (within 60 miles), or did you have to travel to see them? I am afraid that I will not be able to personally see as many cars as I probably should and will have to rely on pictures and a PPI.
Ironically, I traveled to NC to look at one (Greensboro). You sound to me like the perfect candidate for a locator (see my first post in this thread for a reference if you want to give it a try, or ask if you'd like to know what's involved in that process). It sure does help to have someone knowledgeable to look at the cars for/with you.

Another possibility (in addition, not instead of) would be to post possibilities here and see if a 'Lister lives hearby and could go to give it an unofficial assessment that you could then send for a PPI. After the PPI you'd have a couple hundred bucks invested and would know whether it was worth your effort to go look yourself. Joe W.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:37 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah, Joe, you beat me to the punch! That's exactly what I was going to suggest.

Listen, dkeen, I think there are plenty of p-car nuts around here who can give you a hand with your search. In fact, I visited one of our local Porsche dealerships to check out a well sorted 964 for a potential owner from Colorado last winter.

Well, the car turned out to be misrepresented by the dealer. The ad said "ready to go" or something to that effect but when I got there, the starter had seized up and a variety of fuses and relays were yanked to kill the beast. The bumper/boot respray was also so-so with "masking" ridges evident (or whatever you call them), the rotors were past their prime and there was some sort of drip going on. Yikes! Needless to say, the PPI was cancelled and the buyer moved on.

If you are dead serious about purchasing a 964 and in a position to buy, then I would have no problem checking one out for you if it's in my neighborhood. Of course, this would not be a substitute for a PPI but at least you'd have an impartial opinion before moving forward.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:42 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Jay,

I know it looks bad, but I'm not sure if the rust at the base of the windshield is influenced by mileage (though, perhaps it is?). It looks to me like the same base of windshield (front or rear) rust that 911s have been getting since 1964, with no particular rhyme or reason (except maybe a poorly performed windshield replacement). You see lots of this rust showing up on the 993 board, even a few years ago, when the cars were newer. My own car has never been wrecked (though the windshield has been replaced), has lived its whole life in rain/salt-free California, and I got a base-of-windshield rust bubble back in '97 or so. Had it fixed in '98 under warranty, now I have another rust bubble in the (exact?) same area. Pisser. Though, not nearly as bad/advanced as on the red car linked above.

The "I'm selling this car for a friend" line screams "scam" to me.

Old 05-10-2004, 11:26 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally posted by Randall G.
Hey Jay,

I know it looks bad, but I'm not sure if the rust at the base of the windshield is influenced by mileage (though, perhaps it is?). It looks to me like the same base of windshield (front or rear) rust that 911s have been getting since 1964, with no particular rhyme or reason (except maybe a poorly performed windshield replacement). You see lots of this rust showing up on the 993 board, even a few years ago, when the cars were newer. My own car has never been wrecked (though the windshield has been replaced), has lived its whole life in rain/salt-free California, and I got a base-of-windshield rust bubble back in '97 or so. Had it fixed in '98 under warranty, now I have another rust bubble in the (exact?) same area. Pisser. Though, not nearly as bad/advanced as on the red car linked above.

The "I'm selling this car for a friend" line screams "scam" to me.

Hi Randall:

You're right in that this rust spot in question can happen at any time and improper windshield replacement techniques seem to be quoted a lot on these boards as one cause of this rust in this area. Though, it does make me question things just a bit since you would assume the car saw little if any inclement weather during it's life based on it's limited use (700 miles per year since '90!). Certainly not a deal breaker, but I'd want a someone who knows Porsche 911 bodies to at least check that out... Rust never sleeps...

I too agree that "selling it for my friend" line doesn't work to well... Though maybe the seller has no eBay account (with the zero feedback rating to go along!) and his friend offered to sell it under his/her account. It does seem to be a very nice car overall and is very stock.

Joey and Joe: I too have looked at cars in my area for fellow Rennlister's. It's fun if the buyer is serious about a car that is close by. I think we're all glad to help if we can.

Jay
90 964
Old 05-11-2004, 09:31 AM
dkeen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey JoeW,

I would like to know more about the "locator" you described above. I have signed up for the Porsche NA "search agent" and have also set up an account on PCA to notify me if a car of my description shows up for sale there. I have contacted dealers to call me if they come across one. Any additional "search tool" that I can use, I will.

I came across a car in Tucson, Az several weeks ago. Take a look and tell me what you think (cut and past from URL below). I had discounted the car because of price, and it has a small dent (I can send you pics) on the front quarter panel. Other than that, it has low miles, one owner, all paperwork, and sounds like it has has been well maintained. I would like to find someone in Tucson to look at it. I even posted a note to that affect on Pelican Parts, but did not get a reply. If you guys think the car is worth pursuing, maybe I'll post a note here to see if there is someone in Tucson who would look at it for me.

Thanks for all the help.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=&cardist=1852
Old 05-11-2004, 11:10 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice. With 38K on the clock, it appears to be the next best thing to a new 964. Single owner is also a big plus. If you don't mind the Cobalt interior, then I'd say it's worth a closer look.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:40 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Regarding a Cobalt interior: Before buying my C2, I looked at a Cobalt Blue C2 with a Cobalt and silver interior that was for sale in Illinois at that time. Very nice car and the Cobalt interior was striking and looked great.

This car in question above seems to be a good candidate. I bet that price is negotiable too... Definitely worth a look if someone can help in that area.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:55 PM
rushSC
Advanced

Have you tried the car locator service by IRA Porsche that's *free* for rennlisters?

I have no experience with them, but it's certainly worth a shot!
Old 05-11-2004, 04:55 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a white cab with the cobalt blue. Wasnt to thrilled with it at first but now really like it. Kind of a nice change from the camel interior on my last 2 911's. Get a lot of compliments on the color combination.

Quick Reply: Help me find my dream car