Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do with '93 964 air bags?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 06:21 PM
wch
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default What to do with '93 964 air bags?

Years ago, when I converted my RS America to track use, I ended up with an odd bunch of parts ranging from sun visors to the carpet covered wooden rear shelf/storage compartment. My question is, should I try to sell the air bags? Can they be shipped safely? Thanks.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:49 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

I don't know who would buy those, since the airbags are beyond their "service life" as designated by Porsche. I think someone (I'd do this) would buy a new one that is within its service life; I would not trust my life to an expired bag...

Just a thought...
Old 05-04-2004, 06:53 PM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be interested in the list of parts you have for sale. Shoot me a PM with the list.

Colin
Old 05-04-2004, 07:47 PM
wch
Rennlist Member

"I don't know who would buy those, since the airbags are beyond their "service life" as designated by Porsche."

I didn't know that ... how do you verify this? If true, I will try to find a way to dispose of them, other than just throwing them in the trash, where I assume they could be dangerous.

Colin: I've never really put together a list, but will do so. I've sold a few bits - wheels, the original seats - but am not much for auctions and ads.

Incidentally, I'm a rennlist member how do I get that designation to show up?
Old 05-04-2004, 10:09 PM
HSB
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I thought my service manual stated that they were good for 15 years.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:00 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

high demand for those pieces in the salvage repair group. EBAY
Old 05-05-2004, 03:13 AM
rutz964C4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a steering wheel that came with Airbag, it was shipped from USA to Spain and arrived with no problem.

ALEX
Old 05-05-2004, 05:55 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Airbags are regarded as "Explosive devices" and require a "Dangerous Goods" declaration. They cannot legally be carried on aircraft and if you do not inform the shipping company of the contents you will be charged with a criminal act. Not recommended. Most shipping companies will not deal with such items. These laws have been in place for some time but since 9/11, well let us say it is not worth the effort.
I only recently retired from the aviation business and shipping of dangerous goods was an issue I had to deal with on a regular basis. Even lifejackets with CO2 cartridges are now considered dangerous goods for shipping purposes.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 05-05-2004, 09:50 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Adrian is correct. It is a felony to ship certain dangerous items. After the Valuejet crash and 9/11, it is taken very seriously. You will be ruined if something happens and you are implicated.

An Atlanta auto salvage operator went bankrupt because he shipped a fuel tank that had not been completely drained. The part went air freight, and a small amount of fuel leaked. Detectors were set off, and the plane made an emergency landing. The fine was $100,000. Federal fines survive bankruptcy, and he is forced to pay in full. It did not learn what he sold the part for, but if you do the math, I think you will see that it is not worth the risk.

If you have any of the plug-in electronic modules (spoiler controller, central informer, alarm, CCU, airbag, ABS ...), they are very hard to find on the used marked, and are expensive through the dealer. I am sure you will get a great price through eBay. Bidder's frenzy seems to push prices well past reason for many items, making it a great place to sell.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:05 AM
wch
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies. I may try to sell through eBay, if I can figure out the shipping dilemma, perhaps insist on a buyer in my area. I may contact UPS about shipping the airbags ground. Someone might want the steering wheel/air bag combo.

I'm still concerned about the service life comment. I'm afraid that there are a lot of folks who might sell the airbag regardless of its age/effectiveness, and I won't put a bad part into the marketplace.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:58 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

personally i would not sell the Airbags
if they get out there and someone is killed it would be a tragety...

Instead have a little fun with them - the workshop manual outlines the proper proceedure for "Disarming" them.

just make sure you do as the guys in the lab coats do though - these things are really dangerious.

....and as long as you follow the proceedure you can probably figure out a way or two to have some fun....

btw...they make a cool 4th of july demonstration for the neighborhood.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:28 PM
Weissach
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check ebay, they usually go for about $100 each. They are bought/sold/shipped all the time. It's no big deal.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:51 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by wch
Incidentally, I'm a rennlist member how do I get that designation to show up?
Just email John D or Jenn

Quick Reply: What to do with '93 964 air bags?