Sponsored by:

Luggage Dump for RS America Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 10:53 AM
Bushbaby
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Luggage Dump for RS America Wanted

Hi All, I'm considering the acquisition of an RS America however the luggage dump / rear seat delete has been binned at some stage. Porsche no longer stock this item - any ideas as to where to look? Thanks so much!! Ken
Old 09-13-2022, 12:08 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You find them used here and there but they are $$$. Someone converted my Cabrio into seating that's not correct and when I looked a few years ago they were going for $2000+ for what is just some carpeted plywood essentially. I chose to leave it how it is because I didn't think it was worth the money. Probably even higher prices now.
Old 09-13-2022, 12:36 PM
Bushbaby
Instructor

Originally Posted by mystert
You find them used here and there but they are $$$. Someone converted my Cabrio into seating that's not correct and when I looked a few years ago they were going for $2000+ for what is just some carpeted plywood essentially. I chose to leave it how it is because I didn't think it was worth the money. Probably even higher prices now.
Thanks so much - that seems to be the general view, that these are unobtanium. I've asked the dealer to quote on all the loose pieces as it would seem possible to fabricate the plywood section. To what extent would the lack of the seat delete compromise the value of an RSA? I would reckon it could be significant?
Old 09-13-2022, 01:01 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bushbaby
Thanks so much - that seems to be the general view, that these are unobtanium. I've asked the dealer to quote on all the loose pieces as it would seem possible to fabricate the plywood section. To what extent would the lack of the seat delete compromise the value of an RSA? I would reckon it could be significant?
These cars are getting so much harder to find and with prices though the roof I don't plan on ever selling my car. Value of my car to me is priceless and only really needed for insurance policy reasons. Sure someone might pay more for an RSA with the back seat delete but I would think just the fact that someone found and RSA to buy in the first place makes it valuable enough.
Old 09-13-2022, 01:43 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 266 Posts

What year? If it's a 94 and you are looking for the rear seats w/ the RSA specific cloth - I think you'd be lucky to even locate that, at any price.

If the car isn't a museum piece and you plan on driving it (sounds like someone has already been enjoying it) - If I were in your shoes, I'd just RS carpet it - maybe put a roll bar in.

If it's a 93, just keep looking, you will probably find one eventually.

As for the value - like everything, it depends. I couldn't put an accurate number on it - but consider the fact that it would impact a 1000 mile car that was otherwise perfect more than a 90k mile car.

Last edited by jeff33702; 09-13-2022 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-13-2022, 03:16 PM
salty87
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks so much - that seems to be the general view, that these are unobtanium.
Just keep looking. They pop up for sale occasionally but sell very quickly. I found one on Pelican about 3 years ago and got it for $1500 or so plus shipping from Hawaii of all places.
Old 09-13-2022, 04:20 PM
Bushbaby
Instructor

Did you fit the delete kit to your cabrio? I'm not sure that the presence (or absence) of the seat delete is too much of an issue however I am a bit of an originality freak. The car in question was delivered by Champion Porsche with a roll bar fitted so it has effectively never had the delete kit fitted while on the road. Is there any particular spot where you'd suggest looking?
Old 09-14-2022, 12:04 PM
salty87
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Did you fit the delete kit to your cabrio? I'm not sure that the presence (or absence) of the seat delete is too much of an issue however I am a bit of an originality freak. The car in question was delivered by Champion Porsche with a roll bar fitted so it has effectively never had the delete kit fitted while on the road. Is there any particular spot where you'd suggest looking?
I haven't gotten around to installing it yet. Silly because the PO installed 993 rear seats for some reason and they look totally out of place.

Pelican, here and Ebay are what I checked most often. Occasionally did general google searches to see if anything was listed anywhere else. Good luck.
Old 09-14-2022, 12:17 PM
Bushbaby
Instructor

Thanks so much, Salty. After all that it may be that I won't go ahead with the purchase of the car - to my mind the ask is high. As a point of reference, what would be a fair price in USD for an RS America with 33000 miles, fair condition, seen lots of track use, patchy service history (no records between 23 and 29000 miles), some parts (including luggage dump) missing, but presents well and drives great?
Old 09-14-2022, 12:56 PM
992dreams
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 45 Posts

I bought a 1993 RSA a couple months back and just took delivery this past Monday (had some exhaust work done). Mine does not have the rear the storage. A prior owner installed a half-cage. I originally flirted with the idea of removing the cage (it's a bolt-in) but I kinda like the way it looks. My current debate is removing the original, unobtainable front seats and putting them in storage. They are SUPER comfortable - better than my 992 GTS with 18 ways. However, I do worry that my continued use will accelerate their deterioration.

Anyway - if you have a chance to buy a sorted RSA I wouldn't let the lack of the rear storage deter you. They are fantastic cars.

Old 09-14-2022, 01:37 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 325 Posts

As mentioned they are very expensive when they come up and if you need the '94, good luck. Honestly, you could have one built by an interior guy for cheaper than you could buy one for. If you really want one, I would go that route. Most of the ones you'll find for sale aren't in great shape anyhow.
Old 09-14-2022, 02:08 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by 992dreams
I bought a 1993 RSA a couple months back and just took delivery this past Monday (had some exhaust work done). Mine does not have the rear the storage. A prior owner installed a half-cage. I originally flirted with the idea of removing the cage (it's a bolt-in) but I kinda like the way it looks. My current debate is removing the original, unobtainable front seats and putting them in storage. They are SUPER comfortable - better than my 992 GTS with 18 ways. However, I do worry that my continued use will accelerate their deterioration.

Anyway - if you have a chance to buy a sorted RSA I wouldn't let the lack of the rear storage deter you. They are fantastic cars.
Same issue here on the seats - they are super soft and supportive. Car really isn't the same car without them. I have to ask myself - if I store them, who am I storing them for? I sometimes keep a car 2-3 years before selling so I guess that would preserve them and their value - but I can see keeping this much longer...so IDK.

OP - sorry if I missed it - but what are the options on the car? LSD? Sunroof? Color? If it was a garage queen example at 33000 miles, I think a couple have sold on BAT in the 150-175 range. So that would be the high end. Track time isn't the end of the world but if there is significant wear and tear, it will start to go down.
Old 09-14-2022, 02:33 PM
Bushbaby
Instructor

Hi Jeff - options are LSD, sunroof, a/c delete. Colour is midnight blue. It has had a fair bit of work done - period Eibach suspension, performance chipset and role cage (since removed) done by Champion Porsche in Florida. Since entering South Africa the cage has been removed, a fan bypass has been fitted, and Euro RS front brake calipers have been fitted. I've driven many a 911 and this one drives beautifully...
Old 09-14-2022, 04:55 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 823 Likes on 570 Posts

Those seats are amazing, it's crazy to think one would buy a car and bin some parts for fear of wear lol.
Old 09-14-2022, 05:58 PM
992dreams
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by s65e90
Those seats are amazing, it's crazy to think one would buy a car and bin some parts for fear of wear lol.
I totally agree. They are amazing. I wish there was someone out there with access to the fabric - in case they end up needing to be recovered.

Quick Reply: Luggage Dump for RS America Wanted