Sponsored by:

WTB sport cat for 964

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2022, 01:56 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts
Default WTB sport cat for 964

Still working up various configurations on my exhaust and would like to plug a 200 cell sport cat into the existing set up.

If you have something, please let me know.

Thanks.

Old 09-12-2022, 12:23 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

bump
Old 10-18-2022, 03:35 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

still looking for a 100/200 cat for a 964.

giving another bump a try.

Old 10-20-2022, 08:08 PM
weekndr.porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 68 Posts

Buy new?
https://www.fvd.net/us-en/2101119640...ll-110-mm.html
Old 10-21-2022, 01:23 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by weekndr.porsche
i have bought parts from FVD in the past. knowing the money i'm willing to spend on my cars, even i find it hard to justify $1550+ (with shipping) for a change in exhaust tone - since that's my main goal.

i'm not a huge fan of bypasses, but i'd opt for a reasonable bypass before dropping $1500 on a sport cat. that said, both my 993 and 996 run 200 sport cats from Fabspeed and Kline, respectively. maybe i'm becoming more frugal??
Old 10-21-2022, 03:46 PM
No_snivelling
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 128 Posts

If you want a change in exhaust tone, why not this? Saves a lot of weight and gives it a nice growl. Easy on the budget too.

https://www.fvd.net/us-en/170111045/...d-muffler.html

Old 10-21-2022, 06:52 PM
weekndr.porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
i have bought parts from FVD in the past. knowing the money i'm willing to spend on my cars, even i find it hard to justify $1550+ (with shipping) for a change in exhaust tone - since that's my main goal.

i'm not a huge fan of bypasses, but i'd opt for a reasonable bypass before dropping $1500 on a sport cat. that said, both my 993 and 996 run 200 sport cats from Fabspeed and Kline, respectively. maybe i'm becoming more frugal??
I hear ya.
I purchased that one from FVD, and the sound change was slight.
A nice weight difference compared to stock.
And peace of mind knowing my emissions testing would be trouble free moving forward.
The price is indeed crazy, but the fit is OEM like.
And being able to retain the stock cat heat shield was nice.
Old 10-21-2022, 06:52 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by No_snivelling
If you want a change in exhaust tone, why not this? Saves a lot of weight and gives it a nice growl. Easy on the budget too.

https://www.fvd.net/us-en/170111045/...d-muffler.html
already beyond that point...

this last piece of the puzzle would simply get back some of the sound i lost going from the Scart Swan Neck (like an elaborate G or J pipe) to a Fister secondary muffler. The primary muffler is also gone replaced with the cup pipe. before the Fister, i had gone from 'stock cat/stock primary/swan neck' to 'bypass pipe/stock primary/swan neck' to 'stock cat, cup pipe, swan neck' and then to 'stock cat/cup pipe/fister secondary'. when going from swan neck to fister, i lost a bit more pitch and sound than i thought i might. the ideal sound for me is likely a sport cat/cup pipe/fister, but i may try a bypass/cup pipe/fister set up and that's why i'm attempting to find someone who might have a sport cat takeoff. not a big fan of the fumes with an outright bypass pipe.

Old 10-21-2022, 07:07 PM
No_snivelling
Pro

I hear you. I am running a gutted cat and the FVD G pipe. The sound is pretty amazing to me compared to the OEM setup. But the gutted cat was just for testing purposes and this winter the full OEM cat is going back on. I plan on doing some video clips of the sound difference for comparison. I expect it will be a lot quieter and definitely the exhaust smell will improve. Good luck with your search.
Old 10-22-2022, 12:08 AM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 54 Posts

Anyone have experience running the Rennline bypas?

https://www.rennline.com/rennline-ca...fler-sku-ex04/
Old 10-25-2022, 03:02 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Speedster911

that's the one i'm now considering. pelican also sells it for the same price. looks to be decent quality for the price point.

the option might be the fabspeed sport cat for $695. i don't see a specific number, but i'm assuming it's a 200 cell. i wouldn't mind a 100 cell, actually.

https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-964...ter-1989-1994/

Old 10-25-2022, 04:15 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The one on my car looks just like that but I'm not sure exactly which vendor made mine. Its nice because the factory heat shield's bolt up to it so it looks somewhat "stock." The thing I like most about it is the amount of heat radiating out of the rear drivers wheelwell when the car is shut off is significantly less, like night and day different, I personally dont feel all that heat is a good thing. With a cup pipe and secondary muffler I like the sound. The car definitely feels better with the cat delete, feels like the car has more power when shifting into a lower gear, has more "umph" at the lower RPM.
Old 10-26-2022, 08:37 AM
No_snivelling
Pro

I have a gutted cat so essentially the same as a bypass insofar as treatment of exhaust gas is concerned. It is worth noting that your exhaust will have a pretty obnoxious smell to it.
Old 10-26-2022, 09:49 AM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by No_snivelling
I have a gutted cat so essentially the same as a bypass insofar as treatment of exhaust gas is concerned. It is worth noting that your exhaust will have a pretty obnoxious smell to it.
Obnoxious smell? I’ve been running one for years in my cabriolet and never experienced that. Maybe your car isn’t running/tuned right? Maybe you are just used to todays cars and not have never owned a classic car. Obnoxious is not a word I would ever use to describe a classic/race car exhaust, especially that sweet smell of a car running race gas.
Old 10-28-2022, 01:44 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by mystert
The one on my car looks just like that but I'm not sure exactly which vendor made mine. Its nice because the factory heat shield's bolt up to it so it looks somewhat "stock." The thing I like most about it is the amount of heat radiating out of the rear drivers wheelwell when the car is shut off is significantly less, like night and day different, I personally dont feel all that heat is a good thing. With a cup pipe and secondary muffler I like the sound. The car definitely feels better with the cat delete, feels like the car has more power when shifting into a lower gear, has more "umph" at the lower RPM.

Eric,

Is the exhaust much louder then stock? - Thanks for your feedback.

Quick Reply: WTB sport cat for 964