Sponsored by:

911 vs 964

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 01:00 AM
Mike K
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 vs 964

Looking for feedback...i've owned my '86 cab for 9yrs but i'm getting the itch for something new. As sweet as Rsa's are i think they are a bit overpriced. So, trying to decide between an '84-'89 turbo-look coupe or a '93-'94 C2 coupe anybody btdt? i feel i know '80's carreras fairly well but the 964 has really started to grow on me but my fear lies with OBD1. Are my fears unfounded? Can a 'diy' live happily with a 964? tia.
Old 05-01-2004, 01:18 AM
AsianBond
Rennlist Member

Go with the 964, you will never look back. More power and the sweetest part is the excellent transmission. Oh yeah, the ride and climate controls are much nicer. Overall, a major evolution from the carreras. I'm speaking from experience.

Being a 911 owner you should know that they are pretty much trouble free cars, nothing out of the oridinary to maintain a 964.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:18 AM
Jeff
Addict
Rennlist Member

AsianBond gave you good advice -- the 964's are a much different car in terms of power and creature comforts. The 993's are better yet. Just for fun, build yourself a matrix and compare all 3 -- look at HP, heating and a/c, ride and handling, etc. -- there's plenty of information on this site. Last but not least, look at price -- for $25K you can get into anyone of the 3, of course there will be trade offs around condition and milage. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:46 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I am devoutly DIY. The quick answer is yes, you can live happily with a 964. Your concern regarding the diagnostic system is valid, but part of the appeal of DIY work is the challenge, and the OBD I system is just another challenge.

The factory manuals are available for about $400, and a good investment IMHO. The wiring diagrams in particular are detailed down to every wire and connector, and there is a locator system that makes everything easy to find. Adrian Streather's book has a huge amount of information including common problems and how it resolve them working without the diagnostic scan tool. There is a huge amount of DIY assistance on line, and none of it assumes you own a scan tool.

The factory manual makes it look like every procedure starts with the diagnostic scan tool. Then you find they are unaffordable. I don't mind investing in tools, and have been looking for a scan tool for two years. Baum tools sells a unit that works on the 964 for ~$3500. Used Bosch Hammers do show up on eBay, and sell in the $1300 - $2000 range. There are at least two reverse-engineering projects on the Bosch Hammer. It is possible that soon you will need only a cable and some PC software to talk to your diagnostic system using a laptop. I am not holding my breath, but relief on the diagnostic system may be in sight.

964s are a used car bargain, and the diagnostic system may partly account for the great prices. If you must have the scan tool to feel comfortable, figure the cost into your purchase budget. That is how I will justify the cost when I finally bite the bullet and get one.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:34 AM
ian c - u.k

mike ,
why not a 964 convertible ??

in my opinion the 964 is the best looking soft-top porsche have produced to date !!!

o.k , so the carrera gt is kinda nice , and 356's rock............. but they're not 911's

Quick Reply: 911 vs 964