Unexplained water leak into passenger cabin

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 05:03 AM
jonscott
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unexplained water leak into passenger cabin

Can you help?

I have a 1990 LHD 964 C2 Cabriolet. Everything is nice and tight about this car except... I have a water leak when it rains.

The leak appears to drip onto the passenger side carpet on the sill immediately below the angle of the windscreen. it appears to come down at the point where the dash meets the rh side of the body shell.

The leak does not appear to be associated with the door. I thought maybe it was water finding its way in through the windscreen rubber but I have sealed this and still I get water.

Also my cabriolet is getting a little tired. I would like to try to reproof this. What is the best waterproofer that anyone can recommend? It would be helpfull in Europe if you could also suggest a source. ( I live in Norway and go often to the UK) Thanks

Any ideas?

Jon Scott
Old 04-30-2004, 08:51 AM
Fred, Long Island
Racer

If you have an original windscreen seal in place...it's likely the culprit. Trying to seal one from the outside while installed is near impossible. have it replaced and insure that the shop uses a urethane sealer as it is needed to keep the glass in place in the event of an airbag incident.
When it rains, stop and take a close look, prying about the edges of the rubber in the lower corner...you'll probably find moisture. Good Luck.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:17 PM
raymond-turner
Instructor

John, similar problem, on both sides, water appears to come from the edge of the quarter lights, thought it may be the seal on the roof, I intend replacing all the seals, including the door seal in the VERY near future.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:30 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I just went through this last summer (I think the guy ((bastard)) who sold me the car knew about it). I hosed the car down and could not figure where it was coming from so I took it to a shop for help. It took quite a few calls to find someone to do this. It turned out the water was coming in from the trunk/boot somehow. They re-sealed that and I have had no problems since. They checked the windshiled and it was not leaking.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Unexplained water leak into passenger cabin