Sponsored by:

Warning horn - no warning lights!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 02:11 PM
Youcef
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Warning horn - no warning lights!

I had a strange thing happen in my 90C4 on the way home tonite. I was just about to pull up into my driveway when the warning horn started to sound. I automatically thought pressure pump, but as if the car had heard me the pump activated. I noted there was no warning lights in the instrument cluster only the "!" on the console was lit. I cancelled the warning and the warning horn stopped.

It puzzled me what had happened so without stopping the car I backed out and drove away. At this time I noticed I had no oil pressure and no oil temperature. A cool head of course will realize there was a connection problem but of course my heart stopped as I could just see the repair bill for a destroyed engine!

After calming down and realizing that the car could not go from hot to cold in 20 meters I turned the car around and drove back into the drive. I left the car idling and noticed the gauges flicking from cold to hot. I then decided to stop the car and investigate. I turned off the ignition and then back on again and I noticed all was back to normal with correct reading on all gauges with all lights illuminated. I started the car to confirm oil pressure and again gauge was reading correctly.

I then proceeded to remove the entire gauge, once out I switched the ignition on and jiggled the wires at the rear of the two connectors, as I did so the lights flicked on and off and the gauges also reacted by flicking up and down.

So problem solved a loose connection or wire, that I can sort out quite easily.

Do you guys think the warning was triggered because of the wiring fault? Or do you think there is something else amiss in there?

Youcef

Last edited by Youcef; 04-30-2004 at 03:22 AM.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:26 AM
Youcef
Addict
Rennlist Member

I checked again this morning and there is no sign of any problem. What I did notice though is that when you jiggle one set of wires all the lights go out in gauge, but if you remove the LH connector only the master warning and ABS lights go out....I cant seem to understand how this works. Is there a common ground in the LH connector that if loose will affect all the gauge lights?

I am starting to feel that it more likely that this bad connection was the reason why the warning horn would sound so unexpectedly.

Youcef

Last edited by Youcef; 04-30-2004 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:23 AM
Youcef
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bump...in the hope the Gurus are back from the USA!
Old 05-05-2004, 07:26 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Youcef,
The instrument wiring is very complicated and involves the central informer as well. I suspect that you have a ground stud problem or a chaffed wire.
If it is all working leave alone. If you break anything behind there it will cause you immense problems.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 05-06-2004, 06:20 AM
Youcef
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey thanks Adrian, great to see you back I for one missed your helping hand. Hope you had a good trip and enjoyed.

I will take your advise and look at earth stud and then if nothing leave it all alone!

Youcef

Quick Reply: Warning horn - no warning lights!