Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G pipe. First impressions and fitting tips.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 09:43 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up G pipe. First impressions and fitting tips.

What a simple and satisfying mod. First of all that huge heavy appendage in the wheel arch comes out, and in goes the beautiful polished steel short-cut tube.

The sound is noticeably different at turn of the key:bassier, and suits the car well. Driving, it growls nicely up thru the gears - still deep and quite muscle car-like IMO. Louder but not 'ricer' loud. Having the window down makes a big difference (unlike before) - window up the differences are minimised, so cruising can be much the same. Definately turning heads on the street, though..

Other stuff - does it rev free-er? Perhaps its just easier to know what the engine is doing, cos now you can hear it under 4k revs. More torque detectable? Perhaps, difficult to be sure because of the placebo effect of that noise! It was never going to be a big increase anyway.

Fitting:
Secondary silencer/muffler is attached by its outlet from the primary, plus two bolts in the wheelarch.
The 15 year old clamp bolts attaching to primary silencer and tip weren't going any where - I just cut them with a grinder, and bought new bolts. The clamps themselves had started to split, so I reinforced them with 'jubilee' clips, will buy new clamps.
There are internal 'donut' pieces at the pipe joints - I sanded the donut surfaces, and tapped each joint in to place with a hammer and wooden drift before tightening the clamps. Attach the tip first, and then line up tip and G pipe with primary silencer outlet so that tip doesnt foul the body, with room to spare for engine movement. Tap this into place so that it seats, then tighten the clamp. Easier with a helper.

Unless you really want to keep the subtle thing, this is a great mod. Now it sounds like it looks and goes..

BTW - I think I'll leave that undertray off, too
Old 04-29-2004, 12:00 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Sounds like it might be a bit too loud on a cabriolet (pun in intended) if it makes that much noise with the window down for you.

I'll find out soon enough...
Old 04-29-2004, 12:06 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write up and pointers, Johnny! Glad you liked the mod. To enhance the placebo effect (or possibly realize some performane gains) you may want to do a DME reset. Unplug the battery for at least 20 minutes and then give it a go.

Garrett, My money says you'll love it. That stock setup is just TOO quiet for a proper 911.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:37 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

AGREED!

Joey, you're just too damned good at beating me to the punch lately.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:52 PM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Every day is a DME reset day for me - I installed a battery cut out switch until I get time to find that current drain..
..no wonder my car is so confused..

Quick Reply: G pipe. First impressions and fitting tips.