Sponsored by:

Asian Model Speed Warning Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004 | 01:06 AM
Langers
Intermediate

Default Asian Model Speed Warning Alarm

Hi guys,

I'm looking at purchasing a 1990 C4, which was Hong Kong delivered. After reading Adrian's book I've discovered that there's a speed warning alarm that activates at speeds above 120km/h.

I would like to know if this can be disabled cheaply and easily without affecting other systems in the car. If this is not possible, what is the recommended procedure for disabling it?

Regards,

Klaus Langbein
Old 04-29-2004 | 02:51 AM
eddychan
Racer

Hi Klaus,

I am driving a HK Model in HK right now and do not have such alarm system. Are you sure the one that you are buying has such system and would you be able to take it up to the speed and see what happens. I have taking mine up to 150km/hr without any problem here in Hong Kong. Illegally of course, that was a very early Sunday morning in ToLo highway.

Cheers!

Eddie
91 C-2
Old 04-29-2004 | 04:25 AM
Langers
Intermediate

Thanks eddy.

It's mentioned in paragraph 3, page 352 of Adrian's book,

"Additional warning systems indicating exceeding the national speed limits were installed into Middle Eastern and Asian models. At 120km/h, a warning sounds advising the driver that the speed limit has been exceeded. This is one way to distinguish between (tell) a UK right-hand drive version imported into a country like Hong Kong and one originally destined for Hong Kong"

So, does anyone have any experience with disabling the alarm? Adrian?
Old 04-29-2004 | 09:55 AM
morganb
Instructor

I have had 2 HK delivered Porches and been in a few more over 120 KMH and none made any warning sounds over 120 KMH. I have been in 2 964's over 120 and no warning sounds. I know Singapore has some warnings in some cars but I am not aware of any in Hong Kong.
Old 04-29-2004 | 12:48 PM
AsianBond
Rennlist Member

Assuming the car came with the warning signal I assure you that the previous owners most likely diabled the annoying feature. I've been over 260kmh and the only warning signal I got cming from the left side of my brain was that "if you don't slow down soon you may end up in jail"
Old 04-29-2004 | 09:03 PM
Langers
Intermediate

Ok thanks for the help guys....let's just hope the warning has been disabled!!

Quick Reply: Asian Model Speed Warning Alarm