Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Christer, any updates on your car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 03:35 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts
Default Christer, any updates on your car?

Looking forward to hearing how it all went!
Old 04-27-2004, 06:17 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Graham

Well if it was only that easy!

At the moment my heads are being machined and whilst that is happening the heads and the case have been ported and flowed. I think all the other parts are there apart from the loom adapter for the Motec unit, so I would imagine that reassembly would start at the end of this week, and continue well into next week. When the Motec parts have arrived then of course the car can actually be completed and set up on the dyno (well not all the way, but maybe upto 5000rpm until run-in).

I just ordered SO2's for the wheels. They should be there next week, and incidentally 9M reckon the wheels will fit so I guess we will find out for sure soon enough.

I am still pondering the LWF, as my current clutch only has 10k miles or so on it.....

As far as I know, we still haven't finalised which cams we are using or what the rev limit will be set at. I am thinking this is all going to take another 2-3 weeks possibly!

Hopefully, it will be worth it at the end.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:30 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Christer,

What sort of BHP will you be hoping for after the mods?

Andy
Old 04-27-2004, 08:02 AM
Christer
Race Car

I don't really know, but the aim is 300rwhp+.....I guess we will find out when the engine is run in?
Old 04-27-2004, 10:43 PM
JoeW
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Christer, what S-02 sizes have you decided on? Where did you source them? Joe W.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:47 AM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Are they still manufacturing SO2s? If not, better to check the date of manufacture as even unused stock will see the rubber compound hardening over time and have very little grip
Old 04-28-2004, 05:09 AM
Rob W.
Instructor

Christer, I would definately recommend the LWF. I had one installed in my C2 last year c/w RS clutch and it made a massive difference. I would suggest the LWF would compliment your upgrades together with the GHL perfectly and it seems a shame not to do it whilst the engine is out as you will only have to pay for the parts. I paid £150 for the flywheel, £265 for the clutch kit, £26 for the guide sleeve and £50 for the ring gear. In the grand scale of your rebuild it's probably not prohibitively expensive.

The engine is far more responsive without having to spin up all that weight and the pick up out of the twisties was the most noticable difference. There has been scaremongering in the past in relation to stalling issues, but I would suggest these are primarily circulated by people that have heard of a friend of a friends aunty in Australia who had a problem and do not eminate from personal experience, the only comment I would have on this point is that you have to be slightly more sensitive with your clutch control as there isn't all that weight back there to bail out sloppy clutch control when manoeuvering. If you are having a remap at the same time, this will dial out any idle speed gremlins in any event.

Just my tuppence...

Rob W

ps You are more than welcome to have a spin in my C2 if you would like to expel any doubts. Send me a PM if so.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:15 AM
Christer
Race Car

Hi Guys

The tyres I ordered from Mytyres on the web (I think a german/UK operation), and the sizes are standard 18" fare: 225/40 and 265/35. I will check the dates on the rubber, but SO2's are still available here - I know others who have picked up some recently.

Rob, on the LWF side I think 9M have quoted more than that, but I will check it out. Where did you get yours? In any case I don't think the stalling issue will be a problem as Motec is apparently pretty good at preventing this. Look forward to seeing your car at some stage though!
Old 04-28-2004, 05:24 AM
Rob W.
Instructor

Alan Wright at G-Force supplied my LWF, I 'think' he got it from Europarts of all places, it's definately OEM but it definately didn't come from the OPC.

May be worth a call to Europarts.

Rob W
Old 04-28-2004, 05:46 AM
DaveK
Race Car

I'm not convinced by the "friend of a friends aunt" argument in the LWF stalling issues. I remember Adrian mentioning problems with LWF several times in the past, and I think his sources are usually a bit more reliable than that.

Having said that - I know it doesn't cause problems for everyone and as Christer said, I would expect Motec to be able to deal with it anyway. In the grand scheme of things, I'd probably add LWF to the package.

On the other hand - since he keeps complaining about how long it's taking - I should point out that asking them to do even more is unlikely to mean it's finished quicker......
Old 04-28-2004, 06:02 AM
Rob W.
Instructor

Dave (aka Pliers man :-)) I concede that Adrian's knowledge is based on sound foundations, but speaking from personal experience, I have had no stalling issues. When I was considering the upgrage, I posted a similar question and was inundated by people warning me of the 'guaranteed' stalling issues, but upon further questioning, none of them had a LWF personally. I then spoke to Colin at 9M, Jonas at JZM, Craig at GT One and Neil Bainbridge at BS Motorsport who all confirmed that it was a guaranteed winner, they all knew that G-Force was undertaking the work.

I went ahead and would say it is the best upgrade I have done (not that they are plentiful, cup pipe, bypass, K&N, H&R)

Rob W
Old 04-28-2004, 06:29 AM
DaveK
Race Car

"aka Pliers man "

???
Old 04-28-2004, 06:33 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by DaveK
"aka Pliers man "

???
I beleive he's been reading the "Wales off roading trip" thread and got you mixed up with Wikkid911 Dave!
Old 04-28-2004, 06:46 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Ah. Well - easy mistake. When I looked at those pictures I thought - that's my car! Even got the same wheels. Although he's one of those 2WD boys.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:26 AM
Christer
Race Car

Actually, I think the plierman in pink has 18" wheels....

Quick Reply: Christer, any updates on your car?