Sponsored by:

Hate to do it but input on value please

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 10:27 AM
dsan
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Hate to do it but input on value please

Things have come up in my personal life that has me questioning putting my 964 up for sale. Either sell this or take out a home equity loan and I've gotten used to the idea of being mortgage free. The car definitely is not for a purist so I need help determining a value if possible. This are the basics:
91 C2 5-speed
Repainted Olive green metallic (was black) done correctly
top end rebuild at 111k miles including head gaskets
car has 130k total miles
Fabspeed cat delete with Billy Boat exhaust
Fabspeed heater delete
Wevo engine and trans mounts
H&R coilovers with HRE wheels / Michelin tires
Recaro A8 seats
DAS colormatched rollbar
RS door cards
Rennline interior pieces

Plenty more addressed on the car but this kind of gives an idea

But it does have a few issues, sunroof inop, driver door hinge, headliner could use being replaced, and shifter sticky when hot.

Any ideas guys IF I wind up listing it? I'm still definitely not sold on selling it, I've owned it over 8 years now and have grown very found of it but it might be time to let someone else enjoy it for a while.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Finlander (05-12-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 10:45 AM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

Have you looked up 964 sale history on BAT? There have been a few recent sales of modified cars that could give an idea.
Ralph3. (05-12-2022)
Old 05-12-2022, 10:59 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 978 Likes on 638 Posts

i have always thought your car looked fantastic in that olive green. HREs are also a very nice touch. it sounds like you have all quality mods and you've already taken care of the top end (mileage less of an issue).

i think you have a solid $100k car, but a person who appreciates all the mods you've done - color, wheels, seats, etc. - may be willing to go beyond that. this could possibly bring about a nice little bidding war on BaT.

i'm going to say $100-110k assuming the car presents very well. taking into account the mileage (and top end), the non-original color (which looks great), rollbar, no heat, no cats, etc., that's not a bad outcome.

Old 05-12-2022, 10:59 AM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 325 Posts

This is a hard one because modified cars either go quite high or quite low. It just all depends on whether a) you did a really high quality job and b) the bidders "in the room" like what you did. I just pulled the two most recent examples from BaT and as you can see the delta is almost 50k between them.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...era-2-coupe-4/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...era-2-coupe-5/
Old 05-14-2022, 09:05 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 232 Posts

Re installing the heat back will widen your market area in the 4 season States
0luke1 (05-14-2022)
Old 05-14-2022, 09:49 AM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 157 Posts

Concur. My guess is $100k. Depends on your income, but mortgage interest is deductible. Just sayin’. That’s a beautiful car and you will not be able to replace it for the same money (unless the potential recession is a bad one and you can buy a car in 18 months or so). However, if you think about the deduction and the replacement cost of your car, facts suggest you get the mortgage.

Interest rates are higher than a year ago, but still historically low.

Last edited by 0luke1; 05-14-2022 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:56 AM
964Lovac
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 0luke1
Concur. My guess is $100k. Depends on your income, but mortgage interest is deductible. Just sayin’. That’s a beautiful car and you will not be able to replace it for the same money (unless the potential recession is a bad one and you can buy a car in 18 months or so). However, if you think about the deduction and the replacement cost of your car, facts suggest you get the mortgage.

This ^^

Honestly, I think you could get an easy $100k+. But you can deduct that interest on a mortgage/home equity loan. I'd look into that before selling your car, especially as you say you've been fond of it. These cars are difficult to replace, so you may find it hard to find another one later down the road.

Old 05-14-2022, 05:06 PM
jimonycricket
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 0luke1

What he said, I would try and keep it if I were you. These cars are so hard to come by.
Old 05-15-2022, 02:18 AM
911ren20
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Dont Sell it Dsan, I am no FA. I went thru the same difficult decision 2 years ago, I sold the car. I just bought it back 2 weeks ago with a premium. And the car was in worse shape. I still consider myself lucky to be able to buy it back.
Old 05-15-2022, 07:19 PM
Dubbed743
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Is your car USA or RoW?

Be careful looking at BaT comps because prices have moderated since the Dec/Jan highs. Without more pictures it's hard to say, but you're certainly inbetween the two comps that have been previously listed. I'm going to say ~$90k BaT hammer price, but you never know.

If you like the car, I'd look at cutting costs elsewhere. If you do decide to sell, make sure you acknowledge that once it's gone, you are never going to be able to replace it at the same cost.

Last edited by Dubbed743; 05-15-2022 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-15-2022, 10:12 PM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 132 Posts

Can you post more pics and a few more build details. I for one loved the look of your car when I first saw this picture posted a while ago. Prices are all over the place and for some reason people will pay way more money for a scratched/chipped up original paint than a quality respray. The color change is another factor but I think the respray can be defused and even add value if there are detailed pics during the process to show it was a quality job. If not available then some folks will think it was crashed and repaired and that’s why it was resprayed. BaT brings a premium for cars that appear to be well sorted but the opposite can be true for sellers that don’t engage in the auction and the crowd smell a hidden story.
Old 05-17-2022, 12:33 PM
spooky69
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

You'll regret it... 😉

Stunning car by the way. 👍

Quick Reply: Hate to do it but input on value please