Sponsored by:

help with stalling between shifts

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 10:44 AM
sonett43
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help with stalling between shifts

I have a 1989 964 3.6 installed in my 1983 911 SC, the previous, previous owner did the swap, so I'm not sure why he did some of what he did, but overall he did a good job, spent big bucks on some of the conversion parts.

I'm battling a stalling issue between shifts, I know it sounds odd, but with the lightweight clutch and light flywheel, this thing revs up and down instantly. It will often stall between shifts, probably because the SC gearbox is balky, so I don't shift quickly.

I noticed, I'm missing a bracket and a big return spring, and I'm wondering if there is more that I'm missing. Other cars of the era have a throttle return damper, something to slow down the last few degrees of throttle closure, I don't see anything like this.

In this photo, (not my engine) here's the bracket and the spring I'm missing....I assume I can fabricate a little bracket and attach an ordinary throttle return spring to take the place of this thing.

BTW, I checked, the throttle closed microswitch does engage properly, and there's just a little slack on the cable, so I think I've got all of that sorted out well.

Old 05-09-2022, 11:36 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

What DME chip do you have? With a LWF, you need to have a chip that compensates for that. I installed one from Steve Wong on mine.
Old 05-09-2022, 11:38 AM
sonett43
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
What DME chip do you have? With a LWF, you need to have a chip that compensates for that. I installed one from Steve Wong on mine.
I upgraded to the latest Wong chip for LWF a year or 2 ago, still stalls.
Old 05-09-2022, 11:41 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Contact Steve Wong, he can make a custom chip if needed.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:47 PM
sonett43
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Contact Steve Wong, he can make a custom chip if needed.
yup, that's how I got to my current position. Car was stalling, he suggested I swap to the latest chip, car still stalls. I just had the motor out for head studs, made sure there were no vacuum leaks, now, I'm questioning the throttle return and if other parts are missing like some kind of damper for the throttle plate

"
I noticed, I'm missing a bracket and a big return spring, and I'm wondering if there is more that I'm missing. Other cars of the era have a throttle return damper, something to slow down the last few degrees of throttle closure, I don't see anything like this.

In this photo, (not my engine) here's the bracket and the spring I'm missing....I assume I can fabricate a little bracket and attach an ordinary throttle return spring to take the place of this thing.
"

Quick Reply: help with stalling between shifts