Porsche CR-2 radio head unit (Alpine) removalau

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2022, 11:54 AM
Desmodaddy69
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Porsche CR-2 radio head unit (Alpine) removalau

Hello everyone,
I'm trying to remove the old Porsche CR-2 head unit. I easily removed the black perimeter cover but now I'm stuck. I don't have any special removal tools - if they even exist? - and I tried to pinch two knives on the left and right side of this unit but nothing moves.

Please advise. Thanks in advance.
Dieter

Old 05-02-2022, 01:35 PM
Advman89
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

You'll need some keys...they are universal and cheap.

Amazon Amazon

You can probably get them at a local autoparts place...or car stereo shop. Universal.

There are also the two that look like a thick wire bent into a "U" shape. those are handy to have on hand, but not for this project.

Old 05-02-2022, 01:36 PM
Advman89
Instructor

Pro tip....put some blue tape around that hole when you're pulling things out.
That dash vinyl is about as thin and brittle as an old woman's skin.
Old 05-02-2022, 02:44 PM
unicorn2
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts

I just did this. You have a CR-1 not a CR-2. There are two little bars on both sides that slide up and down. I am pointing to it with my pen in the pic below. The little pins need to be centered in the middle then you can push the radio out from behind or pull from the tape deck. Its a PIA. There are no special tools that I am aware of like the newer 210 models use in the 1996 -1998 993 cars I used a small screw driver and then stuffed some small blue painters tape to keep it centered.

I would also put blue tape below the radio to protect the vinyl.

Old 05-02-2022, 04:40 PM
Advman89
Instructor

Thanks for correcting me on the keys!

I don't remember that being the case with my CD-1, but must've been!
Been a while!!

Good luck! Once it pops, it will probably shoot out of the dash!
Old 05-02-2022, 05:17 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 230 Posts

When I took out my OEM Blaupunkt Reno to replace it with a Blaupunkt Bremen SQR 46 I had the correct keys (the U-shaped ones) but the radio wouldn't move.
The radio was in the car for more than 25 years and by then the plastic from the dashboard had formed some kind of a bond with the metal of the radio. It was HARD.
The best way to get the radio out (after you unlocked whatever locks there are on the sides) is to somehow get a grip on the back of the radio and to push (wiggle) it out
In my case it was a major PITA.
Old 05-02-2022, 05:21 PM
Advman89
Instructor

I remember having to get a hand on the back and push it...and it shot out of there like a rocket..until the wires (which are painfully short) stopped it and it was hanging over the knee pad...hence the blue tape and protection.

Old 05-02-2022, 06:17 PM
Desmodaddy69
7th Gear

Originally Posted by unicorn2
I just did this. You have a CR-1 not a CR-2. There are two little bars on both sides that slide up and down. I am pointing to it with my pen in the pic below. The little pins need to be centered in the middle then you can push the radio out from behind or pull from the tape deck. Its a PIA. There are no special tools that I am aware of like the newer 210 models use in the 1996 -1998 993 cars I used a small screw driver and then stuffed some small blue painters tape to keep it centered.

I would also put blue tape below the radio to protect the vinyl.
Thanks for your advices - all of you. I do have a CR-2 and I did notice those little bars on both sides slide up and down. However, how can I access the unit from behind?

Last edited by Desmodaddy69; 05-03-2022 at 04:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
unicorn2 (05-03-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 08:14 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Desmodaddy69
Thanks for your advices - all of you. I do have a CR-2 and I did notice those little bars on both sides slide up and down. However, how can I access the unit from behind?
Well, I hope you're doing Yoga. The dashboard is open from the back, so all you need to do is to wiggle your hands from below & behind and get a grip on the back of the radio.
It helps if you work in the circus as "the man made of rubber"

Last edited by Hatzenbach; 05-03-2022 at 08:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
No_snivelling (05-04-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 05:27 AM
Desmodaddy69
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
Well, I hope you're doing Yoga. The dashboard is open from the back, so all you need to do is to wiggle your hands from below & behind and get a grip on the back of the radio.
It helps if you work in the circus as "the man made of rubber"
Hahaha, you're so right! I managed to remove the old head unit using lock wire and rip ties and removed most connections from the Porsche/Alpine CR-2 head unit in my 964 (1992). Front and rear speakers were connected directly to this device. Is it safe to say that this means no external amplifier has been used? No amplifier spotted underneath the passenger seat anyway. I'm installing a new Blaupunkt Bremen SQR46. All tips much appreciated!

I don't know the type of connector was used?

SQR46 connections.

Old 05-04-2022, 10:36 AM
Advman89
Instructor

I don't remember all that foam wrapped around my wires...that looks a little messy.
I'd wrap your wires with some cloth harness tape after you're done. The cloth tape is nice. If you use regular electrical tape, it turns gooey over time.

...and that duck tape on your dash might be messy to remove (and may even damage the vinyl on top...you have any blue tape (masking tape)?

That connector you're asking about...that might be for speakers? Blaupunkt likes their proprietary connections.

Any of those splice connections, I'd remove for something more secure...I'm a solder guy, but that's a tight space to work in.

Quick Reply: Porsche CR-2 radio head unit (Alpine) removalau