Sponsored by:

C4 high pressure hydraulic pump question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 04:19 PM
CRG
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default C4 high pressure hydraulic pump question

havent driven my car for a while, like a couple years. yeah i know shame on me, but ive been working overseas. anyways i took it out for a quick drive and lost the brakes right when i got home, lucky me right. popped the trunk and saw the bottom of the hydraulic pump was leaking so i pulled it out. the pump runs just fine connected to a 9v battery, so i suspect the cause of the leak to be the washer? anybody have a problem like this? if so where did you source a new washer? if i cant find one i guess a little permatex gasket maker with the old washer may do the trick?
Old 04-25-2022, 05:10 PM
CRG
Instructor

damn, never mind i just saw this post ...same issue

C4 brake pump leaking - where can I find the seal?

Old 05-02-2022, 04:38 PM
CRG
Instructor

a follow up for any other 964 C4 owners who may run into this issue-

I ordered several sized O rings from Mcmasters, none worked for me. The two surfaces (motor/pump) are flat so the gasket needs to be as well. If the mating surfaces had grooves the O rings would have been used OEM. I also ordered a few EPDM and SBR sheets to try and cut my own, thats TBD.

a few things i picked up ref trying to find this needle in a haystack gasket/seal.

The motor and pump were made by Ate. The reply I received from Germany- "We do not offer individual seals or seal kits for the mentioned pump unit.
We are not allowed to give specifications (materials, dimensions or drawings) to the outside."

the #1 rubbers recommended for use when exposed to brake fluid- EPDM, SRB and (crazy expensive) Kalrez. If those cannot be found- Butyl, neoprene, hypalon and alfas.

I contacted Prematex ref any of thier sealants, thier reply. "Unfortunately we would not have a sealer that we would recommend for this application. As our sealers our not compatible with brake fluid, as well as risking the sealer fouling the brake fluid, causing a safety hazard."

There are a few post on the googlebox ref "Seal-All" as a sealant that can be used with brake fluid. This is the reply i received from Eclectic Products-
"Thank you for your interest in Eclectic Products and our Seal-All product. The product is gas and oil resistant, but continual contact with brake fluid is not recommended. The heat and contact with the solvent in the brake fluid will eventually break down the Seal-All."

the cost of a new/refurb unit is stupid $$, if you can even find one. Some folks have use Jag XJ6/XJ12 units sucessfully, with slight mods. thats my fall back if all else fails.

for those unfamiliar with this pump here is it

motor, pump and pressure switch

the pump, motor, filter w/O ring, gasket and key

filter, key and gasket as it sits in the pump

motor

filter

out of the car you can test the motor with a 9v or 12v batter. pos on the right, neg on left

to check the pressure switch- the bottom pins are 1-2-3, the top 4-5. there should be continuity between pins 1-2-4, and no continuity between 3-5

Quick Reply: C4 high pressure hydraulic pump question