Sponsored by:

Cap on wiper mount raised slightly

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 08:32 AM
spooky69
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Cap on wiper mount raised slightly

Possibly the dullest question of the day...

I took off the wipers to remove some of the wrap and put them back on. The cap that goes on before the wiper arm appears to be raised slightly so I can see the hexagon nut from the driving position, which would presumably let water in and encourage corrosion on the nut.

The cap is this part:

https://www.rosepassion.com/fr/schem...capuchon-47524

Is it supposed to push down somehow? Perhaps there is a method of pushing it on that snaps it into place? I'm sure there's a simple answer but all parts are present and correct and on in the correct order and I don't recall seeing the hexagon nut from the driving position before...
Old 04-15-2022, 11:52 AM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

It should be able to push down fully to cover the nut.

As long as the rubber bushes that go inside and outside the cowl are in good shape it shouldn’t be an issue for water ingress.
Old 04-15-2022, 12:28 PM
spooky69
Racer

Originally Posted by Deserion

As long as the rubber bushes that go inside and outside the cowl are in good shape it shouldn’t be an issue for water ingress.
Thanks. They look fine but for some reason it doesn't seem to have gone back together the same as it was before... It should cover everything but it doesn't seem to want to fully seat.

Maybe it needs more persuasion.
Old 04-15-2022, 12:54 PM
spooky69
Racer

Originally Posted by Deserion

I had another look. The cap has a cutout in the shape of the hexagonal nut and seems to fit on it but it doesn't fully meet at the sides, so from the driving position I can see the hexagonal nut. I'm sure it wasn't like that before. I can push the cap down but it comes back up. I must be missing something obvious...
Old 04-17-2022, 11:06 AM
spooky69
Racer

If I loosen the hexagonal nut then the various rubber washers expand and fill the open gap, but then the hexagonal nut is only finger tight.

It's a bit odd. Looking out of the window and seeing the gap and the hexagonal nut is annoying me...
Old 04-17-2022, 02:45 PM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

Are those bushes on the correct way? Try flipping them over as the are not flat on each side
Old 04-17-2022, 03:49 PM
spooky69
Racer

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
Are those bushes on the correct way? Try flipping them over as the are not flat on each side
Thanks.

The top one is a cap shape and looks like it should only go on one way.

The second one has an inner extension that looks like it is designed to fit into the hole? So the extended part pointing down, flatter part on the top.

The parts diagram shows a third part but I'm guessing that's on the other side of the scuttle to seal the hole from the other side.
Old 04-19-2022, 06:50 AM
delanobe
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 105 Posts

I also ordered these from rose passion and had the same issue.
I returned them and put my old ones (treated them with trim restorder) back on.

Originally Posted by spooky69
Thanks.

The top one is a cap shape and looks like it should only go on one way.

The second one has an inner extension that looks like it is designed to fit into the hole? So the extended part pointing down, flatter part on the top.

The parts diagram shows a third part but I'm guessing that's on the other side of the scuttle to seal the hole from the other side.
Old 04-19-2022, 07:08 AM
spooky69
Racer

Originally Posted by delanobe
I also ordered these from rose passion and had the same issue.
I returned them and put my old ones (treated them with trim restorder) back on.
Thanks, that's interesting.

Can you recall how many parts there were under the hexagon nut?

There's a cap under the hexagon nut and under that is a rubber seal with an extended part that seems to fit into the hole. The parts diagram shows a further rubber seal below this - I assume that goes inside (under the scuttle) to complete the seal.

Mine from the bottom on the outside has the rubber seal, a cap over it, then the hexagon nut and then the cap that goes over the top before the wiper is attached. Is yours the same?

Quick Reply: Cap on wiper mount raised slightly