Sponsored by:

Schrader valve on Motive Bleeder

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 03:53 PM
No_snivelling
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Schrader valve on Motive Bleeder

I got tired of pumping up pressure on my Motive bleeder, so I took a deep breath and then drilled a big hole in the bleeder jug in order to add a truck tire valve commonly called a schrader valve.
I was rather nervous that I had destroyed my brand new Motive jug but it all worked fine.

I hand drilled a 5/8" hole near the top of the jug with a step drill. After deburring the hole, I fed a piece of string through the hole and out the mouth of the jug.
I taped the string to the valve but also attached an allen key to the internal hex in the valve. I figured it would be difficult if not impossible to get the hex key into the valve after installation since my hand won't fit into the jug. I just used a bit of tape on the hex of the key which gave just enough friction that it would not fall out, yet it would not leave bits of tape in the hole that would fall out later only to get pumped out during a brake bleed.

At this point, I lightly lubed the rubber with a couple of drops of brake fluid and lowered the valve/allen key assembly into the jug and then pulled it into the drilled hole with the string. Grabbing the valve stem and giving it a good tug brought it into place and then it was a simple matter to snug the nut on the outside while holding the allen key.

With the job done, it was time for a pressure test. I used a bicycle pump for two reasons:
1) My air compressor does not have an air dryer and the last thing I want is water in the jug or worse in the brake fluid when I am bleeding. So I will always use a hand pump.
2) I do not want to risk an exploding jug by over pressurizing it.

From a completely empty jug to 20 PSI only took 9 pumps. What a huge improvement. I had previously tested pump-up strokes using the pump that is built into the screw top, and it took 400 hand pumps to get to 20 PSI.

Not only that, I pumped it to 25 and left it for an hour and the needle on the gage never moved. Success!

The following 3 users liked this post by No_snivelling:
964Luftballoon (03-11-2022), ALSPEAKE (03-12-2022), Rocket Rob (03-11-2022)

Quick Reply: Schrader valve on Motive Bleeder