Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver Side Rear Fender Area Extremely Warm.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 10:13 AM
cobracarrera
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Driver Side Rear Fender Area Extremely Warm.

Morning Everyone,

Had a quick question to ask. Took my 964 out for a nice drive locally for about a half hour and I noticed when I got home that the driver side rear fender was very very warm to the point that it was almost untouchable where the passenger side rear where you expect it to be hottter due to the oil tank and lines was not as hot as the driver side. I have to mention that the car was idling for a few minutes prior to checking. I know these cars run hot. I had the car checked out last summer and every summer (local Porsche shop) to make sure all is well underneath (I dont want a fire)...Are the temps mentioned normal on the driver side rear. I dont remember it being so hot. Is there a fan on that side for cooling assistance perhaps..

The outside temps by the way were in the mid 60's here in Georgia. I looked at the cats and exhaust but all seemed well. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Old 03-08-2022, 11:03 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

In the left rear fender well, there is the catalytic converter. Are your heat shields in place? Was it hot in front or behind the wheel? And how hot were your brakes? Hot brake rotors can emit a lot of heat.

Last edited by Rocket Rob; 03-08-2022 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-08-2022, 11:58 AM
cobracarrera
Pro

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
In the left rear fender well, there is the catalytic converter. Are your heat shields in place? Was it hot in front or behind the wheel? And how hot were your brakes? Hot brake rotors can emit a lot of heat.
Rob,
The heat shields are not in place and the tray is removed as well (first thing i did when I got the car by all the guys here on Rennlist recommendations)....I checked the exhaust, nothing was glowing or red.... Decent exhaust pressure coming out the tailpipe (had a clogged cat once before on another car) The driver rear fender was very hot below the window area above the driver side rear wheel.

Forgot to mention a few days prior while starting my car it was sputtering a bit and stalled out twice which it never does trying to pull back into the garage.......like it was getting chocked out........ I wonder if its the cat maybe starting to go bad...again none of the exhaust was glowing red,,,,,,,, car has 36,000 miles.............. I was driving in town only at 25 and 40 mph max with no heavy braking.

I am kinda afraid to drive the car now....

Last edited by cobracarrera; 03-08-2022 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-09-2022, 09:47 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Untouchable means above 130 degrees F give or take. That is hot. Is the car sitting idling is the ventilation system working properly? DOn't forget they did a poor job venting the heat and if the drivers side is venting out it is directed towards the side of the car behind the driver or passenger.

Long shot since I can't evaluate the heat without being there but might be worth a look.

The heater vent is the flat pipe just to the right of the shock. Same on Drivers side. If the engine is running lean it will put out some heat. Also the ventilation system is designed to dump heat in case of overly high engine temps. There is a temp sensitive bi metal switch which activates the system in the blower plumbing.
Old 03-09-2022, 10:56 AM
cobracarrera
Pro

Originally Posted by cobalt
Untouchable means above 130 degrees F give or take. That is hot. Is the car sitting idling is the ventilation system working properly? DOn't forget they did a poor job venting the heat and if the drivers side is venting out it is directed towards the side of the car behind the driver or passenger.

Long shot since I can't evaluate the heat without being there but might be worth a look.

The heater vent is the flat pipe just to the right of the shock. Same on Drivers side. If the engine is running lean it will put out some heat. Also the ventilation system is designed to dump heat in case of overly high engine temps. There is a temp sensitive bi metal switch which activates the system in the blower plumbing.
Thanks Cobalt. I will check that flat pipe.....The driver fender is hot...not 130 degree, but pretty hot.....If you put your hands on the driver fender you can leave it on there....similar to a newly brewed coffee in a mug without any thing added to it. (LoL) You can hold the cup, but it will get pretty hot in a bit. Thank you for adding the picture as well. Unit was only sitting at idle (3 to 4 minutes) until I walked around the property to the front of the house to open the gate. I dont have anyone near me with a diag tool (hammer) but I do have a Porsche shop nearby. Maybe I should have them diag it.
Old 03-09-2022, 01:16 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

Assuming you have to factory cat, I think what you are feeling is heat from the cat and probably excess heat vented Best way to be sure is buying an infrared thermometer and measure. Take the car for at least 30 minute drive and measure temp of brakes left vs right, measure wheel well on both sides and cat temp as well.
Our hands are not good instruments for measuring temp.
Old 03-09-2022, 02:09 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

I used to have to check mag parts after they came out of a 770 Degree oven for 20 hours and air cooled to less than 212 degrees within 10 min. If I could touch and hold them it was just about 130 degrees. Usually 128 but I rounded up. I find most people are similar but if he isn't seeing temps that high odds are it could be the heat is being dumped outside. Might check the settings on the CCU and see if all the servos are working .he cat is further back on the fender so if the heat is there It could be suspect.

The cat sits very low and behind the rear wheel. Usually it would melt the bumper if it was an issue but I would check it out.
Old 03-10-2022, 01:04 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

You have highly trained hands with years of handling metal. I wish I could say the same but your reference will next time I am searching for a heat source. I really appreciate all your insights here. I learned a lot from reading your posts. Thank you!

Quick Reply: Driver Side Rear Fender Area Extremely Warm.