valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 11:21 PM
eddychan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve covers

Dear 964ers,

My 91 C-2 starts leaking oil from the valve covers AGAIN. I had the problem last year and replaced the gaskets. That seemed to stop the leak for quite some time. However, I have recently discovered the oil leak from the same area again, not a lot but seeping through very slowly.
Just been to the mechanic and was told that I need 4 new covers. I was told that the Mg covers were deformed over the years and caused the leak, they also told me to get the new ones made of Al instead of Mg. The price they quote me was around 500 USD a peice which I think is very expensive.
Any US based 964ers had this experience and I would imagine taht they are cheaper over there.

Please help!

Eddie
Old 04-21-2004, 11:40 PM
mwildt
Advanced

Hi Eddie,

I have seen turbo valve covers for the older 911's for about $400 or so, check PelicanParts or one of the Rennlist sponsors. Though I don't know if these would work or not for the upper ones. The lower ones would need to be machined, extra sparkplug. The turbo ones have a better design, more ridgid.

Now I would take the one of the covers off and then see how badly it's warped, using a straight edge. It may be possible to machine them.

Michael
Old 04-22-2004, 12:45 AM
eddychan
Racer

Thanks Mike,

I am also thinking about machining them and see that would help, surely they should last better than that, I have only covered 62K.

Sound like 500 USD is the reasonable price for a peice here in HonG KOng ( including post etc).

May be really I should try machining them first.

Cheers!
Eddie
Old 04-22-2004, 02:22 AM
JAMES J
Instructor

Eddie Jim here....
just finished with bigtime engine work. Won't go into all detail's,would take
some time to elaborate. I did replace lower left valve cover with AL billet
cost $441.98......solved leak. If cover is warped I would not mess with machining, if Mg.
The best, JJ
Old 04-22-2004, 03:36 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why new covers, that is strange....
Find someone who can 'flat them' on a machine. Then install them with new gaskets on a clean cylinder head. You can use a kind of "Loctite liquid gasket" green coloured or orange colored material. The gasket can hav a pressure from ove 5 Bar's. I am sure you don't need this huge investment! The gasket material will not block oil system parts because will only do his job on spots where it's under pressure and where oxigen is gone.

See my 100.000 miles service from last November for pics about the gasket material.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:44 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Default Re: valve covers

Originally posted by eddychan
Any US based 964ers had this experience and I would imagine taht they are cheaper over there.
Eddie,

I have the same exact problem with the warped covers. Although renewing the gaskets temporarily stop the leaks, but they will eventually have to be replaced. I've asked a automotive machine shop about machining but they would not guarantee results from the "Mg" covers. If you will be sending them through a machine shop please post a follow-up on the results.

Old 04-22-2004, 07:24 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

My car has the same problem... also the left lower cover. In my case you can see the corrosion inside the cover. Around the edges where the gasket/seal goes. It is a slow leak that I will leave with for a few more months.

If I can't find cheaper alternatives I will just have to order them from Sunset Porsche in Oregon.... $ouch$

Quick Reply: valve covers