Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hydraulic pressure brake system versus vacuum assist..?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 01:34 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 469 Posts
Question hydraulic pressure brake system versus vacuum assist..?

In my research for my upcoming project for a race car, I've come across a question regarding the 964 brake systems.

What is the advantage of the hydraulic system used on the C4, Euro RS, Cup racers?? It seems there must be some reason this system was favored for the race cars. I'd think that a simpler system (vacuum assist) would be preferred where reliability and dependability are crucial - as in a brake system.

I always wonder how reliable the system is in the C4 - so many things to break or leak or malfunction. As I research a race car project, I wonder how a C4 would compare to the C2 regarding brake systems. All I can do is speculate that there must be something advantageous with a hydraulic assist system since Porsche had it on their "super" 964 versions.

Ideas??
Old 04-21-2004, 03:07 AM
Arjan B.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The vacuum is tapped from the engine intake manifolt, so it causes a bit unstabile intake airflow. Not much, but if you step on your brake pedal in idel a few times, the engine starts to run different as you notice. A hydraulic punmp gives a constant pressure and leave the engine breating in peace. I would go for the hydraulic system.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:16 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

...I always remember my 964 C4 having better brakes than my C2...but then with 5 years+ apart, it wasn't really a back-to-back comparison!

Quick Reply: hydraulic pressure brake system versus vacuum assist..?