Sponsored by:

Cracked engine lid!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 06:25 AM
Odin
Racer

Received 473 Likes on 195 Posts
Default Cracked engine lid!

Is there a good fix for this, or will it just crack again?
Old 01-22-2022, 08:33 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Odin
Is there a good fix for this, or will it just crack again?
I'm guessing you mean the plastic spoiler? If that's the case, it's fairly common and there are repair schemes out there.
Old 01-23-2022, 04:07 AM
Odin
Racer

Received 473 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Harry Apps
I'm guessing you mean the plastic spoiler? If that's the case, it's fairly common and there are repair schemes out there.
Spoiler yes. I’ve got two thin cracks on n mine and my experienced Indy said it was hopeless to repair as it would only crack up again.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:16 AM
jimonycricket
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Odin
Spoiler yes. I’ve got two thin cracks on n mine and my experienced Indy said it was hopeless to repair as it would only crack up again.
This is correct, mine cracked as well, I ended up going on ebay and buying an uncracked one.
The following users liked this post:
Odin (01-23-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 01:52 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 217 Posts

But then the question is how to keep the replacement from cracking? Mine is cracked. I changed the sensor so that the spoiler doesn't cycle up and down so much. Does anyone know what kind of plastic Porsche used on the spoiler? If it's ABS there might be a fix.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:58 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Easy fix for any competent body shop and they can reinforce it at the same time.

But there is a company making them in carbon fibre, but they'll only sell them with the carbon fibre decklid to match.
Can't find their details at the minute, I think they were based in Ireland...
The following users liked this post:
Odin (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 09:03 PM
Tomfun
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 60 Posts

I'd be interested in hearing about this carbon fiber alternative. I was able to source a replacement spoiler from Autobahn dismantlers to replace my cracked one, and have it at the bottom of a very long to do list to try to figure out how to make a replacement - fiberglass or carbon fiber most likely. Given the length of the to do list I'd say that's years away though.....I'd be happy if someone else has solved this for me.

Tom
Old 01-26-2022, 07:01 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomfun
I'd be interested in hearing about this carbon fiber alternative. I was able to source a replacement spoiler from Autobahn dismantlers to replace my cracked one, and have it at the bottom of a very long to do list to try to figure out how to make a replacement - fiberglass or carbon fiber most likely. Given the length of the to do list I'd say that's years away though.....I'd be happy if someone else has solved this for me.
Found them... No affiliation btw.
The company is Classiccarreras on instagram, check out their posts for pics of the carbon fibre spoiler surround.
Their website is Classic Carreras
But as I previously mentioned, when I inquired about the spoiler surround, they advised that they only sell it with their full decklid kit, not separately.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Cracked engine lid!