NorCal 964 Expert?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 07:56 PM
J9277655
Rennlist Member

Received 326 Likes on 105 Posts
Default NorCal 964 Expert?

Hi Guys & Gals,

Wondering if anyone has a recommendation on a northern California shop to do some work on my newly acquired 964.

There's a bit of cosmetic work, but the majority of my focus is on dialing in the suspension setup on the car. Currently, the car has a significant number of aftermarket upgrades which arent playing that cohesively together, giving some pretty spooky handling characteristics to the car.

I've reached out to Joey Seely down in SoCal, but it's been a little touch and go on communication (holidays are tough), so seeing what other options exist a little closer to home.

Thanks!
Jonathan
Old 01-04-2022, 02:03 AM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 132 Posts

https://www.brrperformance.com/company-about-us/

Jonathan

I used BRR for the setup on my modified 991 GTS. I am about to embark on my RSA suspension to a similar level as your recent BaT purchase. Interested to know where you end up taking yours if you find some place in NorCal that specializes in older cars.

I remember your original intro thread where you briefly mentioned something odd with the handling. Is there some specific issue? Is it your first air cooled? The reason I ask as when I picked up RSA it took a good few outings to get used to the difference in handling compared to my 991. It is my first air cooled and it’s definitely very different from the newer models, my 991 is like a scalpel where as the RSA takes a bit of wrangling (manual rack) or should I say is a lot more engaging . My car is currently at RS height on aged Bilstein/HR and bushings, so I am hoping for a marked improvement when I replace the whole suspension.

Good luck

Originally Posted by J9277655
Hi Guys & Gals,

Wondering if anyone has a recommendation on a northern California shop to do some work on my newly acquired 964.

There's a bit of cosmetic work, but the majority of my focus is on dialing in the suspension setup on the car. Currently, the car has a significant number of aftermarket upgrades which arent playing that cohesively together, giving some pretty spooky handling characteristics to the car.

I've reached out to Joey Seely down in SoCal, but it's been a little touch and go on communication (holidays are tough), so seeing what other options exist a little closer to home.

Thanks!
Jonathan
Old 01-04-2022, 02:26 AM
Parman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm not sure where you're located but Jerry Woods in Campbell did a great job on the alignment and corner balance on my C2 Coupe.
Old 01-04-2022, 12:12 PM
J9277655
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ecosse911
https://www.brrperformance.com/company-about-us/

Jonathan

I used BRR for the setup on my modified 991 GTS. I am about to embark on my RSA suspension to a similar level as your recent BaT purchase. Interested to know where you end up taking yours if you find some place in NorCal that specializes in older cars.

I remember your original intro thread where you briefly mentioned something odd with the handling. Is there some specific issue? Is it your first air cooled? The reason I ask as when I picked up RSA it took a good few outings to get used to the difference in handling compared to my 991. It is my first air cooled and it’s definitely very different from the newer models, my 991 is like a scalpel where as the RSA takes a bit of wrangling (manual rack) or should I say is a lot more engaging . My car is currently at RS height on aged Bilstein/HR and bushings, so I am hoping for a marked improvement when I replace the whole suspension.

Good luck

Hey there! Thanks for the note & feedback.

While it's the first air-cool P car i've owned, I've got quite a bit of seattime in a few other similarly modified 964s located in the bay. I actually drove another (owned by Derek Tam Scott) back to back and it was night and day, He got out of mine and effectively said "undriveable".

I'll do a bit of searching for shops today and see what i can come up with. Jerry Woods i'm sure would be a good option.

Thanks!
Jonathan
Old 01-04-2022, 12:44 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Another good shop is Reitmeir's Werkstatt in Los Altos. I used them for my 964 when I lived in the Bay Area a number of years ago.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:11 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

S-Car-Go in San Rafael or SP Motorsports in Hayward. Chasen at SP used to charge hourly to setup a car, or at least he used to a year and half ago when I inquired.
Old 01-04-2022, 07:05 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Ecosse911
I used BRR for the setup on my modified 991 GTS.
Hmmmm, my experiences with BRR were - let's say - mixed.
It seems to me that if you are a repeat customer who spends *lots* of money there you get good treatment, otherwise .....

Two more shops you should/could contact:
Aleksshop in Fremont and "Don's Autowerks" in Campbell

Aleks @ Aleksshop prepares a lot of track cars and until recently had one hot 964 but which is now sold

Last edited by Hatzenbach; 01-04-2022 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:57 PM
J9277655
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions everyone! I'm going to do some poking around and see if i can get something scheduled. Fingers crossed that i can get this turned around quickly and really start enjoying the car!

Old 01-12-2022, 07:03 PM
stepmoor23
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's also Bill Eason in Emeryville (Eason Autoworks)

Quick Reply: NorCal 964 Expert?