Sponsored by:

Passenger tail light staying on

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 01:10 AM
Myles Maycher
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Passenger tail light staying on

My right rear tail light very intermittently will stay on and kill my battery. It has been anting because if I do not catch it my battery will die and it happens so rarely that I sometimes forget to check. I’ve looked at the wiring diagram and it looks like the driver and passenger side are powered through different circuits. It has been challenging to test because it happens so rarely. I have been able to confirm. When the passenger rear tail light is on with the car off and headlight switch off there is power at the fuse box. I tested it with the fuse out. To me that means it most likely is a faulty switch. Also sometimes when the problem happens and I switch the lights on and off the problem goes away. Sometimes it does not. I just have not been able to test the switch when it’s not working.

is there something I am possibly overlooking. I am going to order a new switch unless someone thinks I should look at something else.

Last edited by Myles Maycher; 12-23-2021 at 01:12 AM.
Old 12-23-2021, 02:31 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 494 Likes on 234 Posts

only a workaround: but how about you replace you taillights with LED taillights? They draw way less power.
Old 12-23-2021, 04:39 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 601 Likes on 359 Posts

Sounds like the headlight switch. On my car the rear light and small light in the headlight are on the same circuit. As you said, each side is separate.
Old 12-24-2021, 07:21 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 310 Posts

Sounds to me like a wiring harness issue; chafed wire going to ground or touching an always hot wire.
It might be time to physically inspect the loom.

Quick Reply: Passenger tail light staying on