Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Leda Suspension has Arrived!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 10:33 AM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Done with road tests. Shocks are great for small irregularities. Makes familiar rough roads feel like they've been recently paved even on a harder setting that I'm on now. You only really realise you have harder setup when you hit large bumps/holes and from the much reduced roll on sharp cornering. Haven't gone past 130kph yet so cannot comment on float or absence of it I hope.

Making adjustments is easier than I imagined. I just sit next to the wheel I'm adjusting, reach behind the wheel and twist the ****. Reassuringly positive clicks making precise adjustments a one time sure thing. No need to get on your back and no need to even turn the front wheels - the ***** are easily accessible without even looking.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:19 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey pzull,

Very impressive! It appears LEDA's "rising rate damping" which varies with piston speeds was well-engineered. With the new linear springs, I would've expected a more jarring ride around town. This is truly amazing stuff.

Just a few questions. How do you set compression and rebound separately with just one ****? It wasn't clear in their info. And are there 12 independent compression and rebound settings? Also, if you opt for stiffer springs, say 500/700 lbs/in, would you need to have the dampers revalved?
Looking forward to your track review, as well. Congrats!
Old 04-21-2004, 11:24 AM
BeverleyM
Intermediate

Hello,

With a single adjuster, the bump and rebound is adjustment simultaniously on a 3:1 ratio, as standard, although you can have it set differently. There are 24 positions.

With the double adjustable units, remote reservoirs with an additional ****, bump and rebound can be adjusted independantly. This gives you 576 different settings.

The struts/dampers are valved to suit the springs, so if you change springs dramatically, you can send the units back to us for a re-valve.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:52 AM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Joey,
I didn't realise they had rising rate damping. Yes it does feel like i have progressive springs or something except you dont get that dual rate roll when you corner hard which is a good thing as it is not a reassuring feeling.

As Beverly said it's 24 setting of bump/rebound on my basic model. At F/R 6/6, it feels like a sedan. At 8/8 it already starts feeling like a sport suspension (harder than RUF comfort version, but yet smoother on anything but large bumps). I have a feeling I can increase spring rates by another 50% and the upper range of damper adjustments can provide adequate damping without revalving.

I'm guessing on the track I would end up with around a 12 setting. We'll see if I have a "free" upgrade path already embedded in my current shocks.

Dont yet know about longevity and reliability in long run, but one thing's for sure up till this point, this product has been a best kept secret from the 911 crowd. I never heard of it nor most people at the Porsche Club here. I only heard about it being raved about by the new mini crowd and I essentially bought "blind" based on their enthusiasm. 911 owners here give me a wierd look when I tell them I've upgraded from a RUF to a LEDA,

I think my mechanic may be on the verge of ordering one for his project rocket 911
Old 04-21-2004, 12:12 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bev,

Thanks for the quick reply. I understand the single vs double adjustable difference, but I'm still a little foggy on the ratio.
Originally posted by BeverleyM
With a single adjuster, the bump and rebound adjusts simultaneously on a 3:1 ratio
Can you elaborate?

pzull, You've definitely stumble upon gold.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:55 PM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Joey, what spring rates are your RS coilovers? They are progressive springs aren;t they?

Beverly, you have PM

Last edited by pzull; 04-21-2004 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:40 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm running the progressive RS springs.

Front 250-308 lbs/inch
Rear 375-508 lbs/inch

I like the 200-lbs difference in max rates between front and rear and the car feels well-balanced during high-speed cornering.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:38 PM
Glenn from Denver
Instructor

I had a set of these on a Boxster S for a couple of years (purchased through Racers Edge). Truely amazing stuff. When you consider the price in the equation, there is no other system that performs like it.

If you think you like it now, wait until you get on the track. I ran full hard on a smooth track and dropped my lap times by over 1 second on a 1.7 mile course.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:28 PM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Glenn, your RSR looks awesome! Some pictures please, if you don't mind! Are those 993 front fenders & lights?
Old 04-22-2004, 10:25 AM
Glenn from Denver
Instructor

Thanks! It runs strong too. I'm still learning to drive the beast now that I've retired the Boxster from the track.

Yes, those are 993 fenders and lights. The car was run in FIA GT series a few times and then imported to the USA. Somewhere along the line, it must have been updated to the 993 look. I don't think it was changed due to major race damage because the tub doesn't show any damage.

I've tried to post pics a couple of times but my pics are too big. What's your email address...
Old 04-23-2004, 01:32 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys,

This thread is really interesting but it might grab my interest some more if somebody could give an idea of price for these Leda units. If they are custom made maybe the price is very variable. Perhaps Beverley could clarify??

Regards

Dave
Old 04-23-2004, 01:37 PM
BeverleyM
Intermediate

Hi Dave,

The prices vary depending on which model, and which type of unit you prefer (oil, gas etc).

If the mods don't mind, here is a link to our website with the catalogue on it.
www.leda.com

I understand if this gets deleted - I don't want to flaunt any forum rules. If it does get deleted, please email me with your model, and I'll mail you prices.

Have a good weekend everyone
Old 04-23-2004, 03:11 PM
Ragin' Bajan
Racer

Hi Bev,
I noticed in the price list there's an asterix next to 911 Porsche entry, indicating 'donors required'. Am I correct in assuming that if I wanted to upgrade my (stock) suspension, I'd have to remove it and ship it to you, have it 'leda-ized' and wait for their return? If so, what is a typical turnaround time for a customer in Canada? Or is there some deposit that is refunded once the donors are received by you?

thx
Old 04-23-2004, 06:27 PM
BeverleyM
Intermediate

For models with stub axles, yes, we need donor units. The lead time is normally around 3-4 weeks, but its always best to call/email first if you're in a desperate hurry.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:47 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

got me thinking.....

Bev could you do a set for the 356? not coil overs but just double adjustable shocks?
right now there is only Koni and Spax that are compression adjustable - and i bet the market would be big enough to warrent it (not huge but decent anyway)

Quick Reply: My Leda Suspension has Arrived!